What's new

HOW TO ASSIGN AC USING ASUS AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RAWRAW

Occasional Visitor
Hi all a bit confused I bought this router partly for ac connection capabilities however I have yet to find any details about how to access it, I have two devices that have ac capabilities.
Currently used Merlin 380 onto my AC87U

AC devices should use the enhanced capabilities without having to do anything to the router.

What exactly are you expecting to see or why do you think its not working properly?

I have two devices that have ac capabilities.
so do you have the ssid name set differently on the router so you can identify the 2.4 gig transmission and the 5 gig transmission

usually looks like

mywirelessAc

mywirelessAC_5G

if you have the ssid name set differently and your clients are indeed dual band you should see both transmissions in your wireless connection list , you then choose to connect to ether the 2.4 gig or 5 gig transmission

View the client list to check what speeds your AC devices use. On my rt-ac68u + phone, I see 433 Mbps on 5g and no more than 75 Mbps on 2.4g

AC devices should use the enhanced capabilities without having to do anything to the router.

What exactly are you expecting to see or why do you think its not working properly?
well I guess I was expecting in increase in speed lower the buffer while streaming , I have two AC compatible devices connected via 5GHZ however I have not noticed any improvement nor have I found a way to confirm that it is connecting using the ac feature

so do you have the ssid name set differently on the router so you can identify the 2.4 gig transmission and the 5 gig transmission

usually looks like

mywirelessAc

mywirelessAC_5G

if you have the ssid name set differently and your clients are indeed dual band you should see both transmissions in your wireless connection list , you then choose to connect to ether the 2.4 gig or 5 gig transmission
Yes I do have separate ssid set up, both devices are connected to 5ghz. Is there no was too verify that there using AC

Try starting a large file transfer from your client device to a wired device on your LAN (a server or PC). Whilst it is running check the link speed again.

The maximum link speed will be the lowest common denominator of the client and the router, so that usually means it is limited by the client.

The maximum link speed is a combination of channel width, number of streams (antennas), guard interval and MCS. So an 'n' device at 40MHz has a maximum link speed of 150Mbps per antenna, whereas an 'ac' device is 200Mbps. But unlike 'n', 'ac' can use larger channel widths and MCS giving it upto 866Mbps per antenna.

Go into the router and check what channel width it is set to. Also try to find out the specs of your client devices.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac#Data_rates_and_speed

The fact that you're getting 400Mbps suggests that the client might have 2 antennas and is operating at 40MHz channel width.

Last edited:
Yes I do have separate ssid set up, both devices are connected to 5ghz. Is there no was too verify that there using AC

Run speed test?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online