What's new

How to build remote access from one laptop to other laptop over GSM.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mindeee

New Around Here
Help please. How to build remote access from one laptop to other laptop over GSM. Can it be done and how? ? ? I’m looking for some compact and small option. Any suggestions how to do it?

Thanks

Self-contained laptop? No WiFi nearby?

GSM is very old, very slow.
Need at least 3G cellular; 4G LTE is current.

Connect each laptop to your selected cellular carrier's network using either (a) USB dongle from carrier; (b) WiFi from laptop to a WiFi hot spot with internal bridge to cellular.

Once you pay for these, get provisioned on the network, can web browse with both laptops, then...
Put on each PC either
http://www.gotomypc.com/remote-access/
or any of many competitors like spashtop.com

This allows remote desktop control. Keyboard/Mouse/Video/Sound.

Is that what you mean by "remote access" ?

Connect each laptop to your selected cellular carrier's network using either (a) USB dongle from carrier; (b) WiFi from laptop to a WiFi hot spot with internal bridge to cellular.

Most wireless carriers are heavily NAT'ed these days... which pretty much breaks everything - get out to the WAN for internet - that's ok, but don't expect to hairpin back in on something that is inside any wireless WAN...

IPv6 might help a bit...

Because most carriers double-NAT, I suggested using a service, some free, that is a proxy for the two laptops. That way, the carriers' double-NAT and blocks don't get in the way.
Simply put, each laptop does an OUTWARD connect to the service's host computer which then "bridges" the two connections - if the login credentials are valid.
Spashtop and others have a way to do unattended operation at one end.

There's also Skype but I'm not sure they have unattended modes.

Yeah, one end would have to be in server mode and thus nailed up all the time but it would work.

I changed from Teamviewer to Splashtop. I found the latter to be much simpler/better.
Splashtop charges $10/yr as I recall, if the connection is on a WAN (internet). If it's intra-LAN (home network) only, it's free.

(that also implies free using a VPN for inter-site link of two LANs).

VNC might be a choice, if OP can get around the NAT's - it's the most reliable solution for low-bandwidth/high latency links, but has issues with hole punching for most nubs...

VNC can't traverse the double NATs since there's no way to port forward - two net 10 addresses.
Verizon and ? are doing this... to (a) use IPv4 at large scale and (b) prevent use of servers.
Solution seems to be only as above: outward TCP connections and a relay server like those discussed above.

Which goes back to perhaps TeamViewer and Splashtop being the solution due to hole-punching thru the NAT's, but they generally do not do well with high-latency low-bandwidth connection offered by EDGE/GPRS on a 2G GSM network...

I'm not sure Teamviewer would work at all over 2G GSM. It's pretty slow when I work on my mom's PC and she has 1.5M DSL.

Team Viewer or Google Desktop are good options. You can also use dynamic DNS as well.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Dynamic DNS won't work. Cannot traverse the cellular double-NAT whereas you can if the two ends used DSL or cable modems.
Must use a third party server such as Logmein, Splashtop, etc.

Dynamic DNS won't work. Cannot traverse the cellular double-NAT whereas you can if the two ends used DSL or cable modems.

DoubleNAT/CG NAT, hole-punching is a real problem here, so as stevech suggests, each client needs to log into an upstream site to broker the connections...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!