What's new

How to change IP address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dexgreen

New Around Here
Hi,
I have an ASUS AC68R and want to permanently change my IP address via my router. I can see my IP address (via website WhatIsMyIPAdress.com) for both my laptop (wireless) and my desktop. Its the same IP address for both (which is what I want) and its this IP address that I want to change. I have logged into my ASUS router page and I assume I click on the LAN tab. I do not forsee me wanting to change the IP address again tho down the road I may want to do this again. I do not want to use a proxy IP or manually change the IP address as I do not want to inadvertently mess something up.

How do I change this IP address using my ASUS router ?

Thanks in advance.
Derrick

Hi,
First if you have same IP for two devices can't use both at the same time. One IP with two MAC will create confusion. You can reserve IP for certain device in the router, at device end you can specify fixed IP. Also you just look at attached devices to see what is
connected to your router.

What you are are seeing at WhatIsMyIPAdress.com, is your WAN IP, its IP that is given to you by your ISP. Only way to change it is to call your ISP, but most likely they wont change it.

WAN or LAN IP

Thanks for the prompt response to my post.

When I browse a webpage, does it look at my WAN IP or the LAN IP that my router sets ? The reason I ask, is that there is a website that is inadvertently blocking/restricting me from accessing the webpage and I want to change my IP address so that I can access it. Its hopefully much easier than trying to call their non existent customer service.

Bottom line: Do I need to change my WAN IP, LAN IP or some other IP, in the case of a webpage blocking my IP address ?

Thanks again !

Bottom line: Do I need to change my WAN IP, LAN IP or some other IP, in the case of a webpage blocking my IP address ?

Thanks again !

You need to change your WAN IP. Most ISP's assign addresses using DHCP, and the IP lease is associated with the MAC presented to the ISP by your Router. (If your ISP uses static assignment, then the only way to change your IP is to contact the ISP).

Assuming your ISP uses DHCP, and assuming your modem doesn't do any routing/NAT work of its own...

By default, your Router will present it's own MAC to the ISP when requesting a DHCP lease. However, you can tell the router to use a different MAC. Most commonly, this is done by setting the router to use one of your computer's MAC addresses instead of it's own. Most routers (including ASUS) have a "clone" feature that automatically sets the router to use the MAC of the computer using the web GUI when the "clone" button is clicked.

So the suggestion from "r00t4rd3d", above, is correct. Assuming the router is currently using it's own MAC, clicking the "clone" button on the router's WAN configuration page will set the router to use your computer's MAC the next time it requests an IP. Since the old IP is still leased to the router's real MAC, this will get you a different IP address assigned by the ISP's gateway.

..an external site will always see your WAN-IP.
The ASUS LAN side is NATed, when traffic leaves though the WAN interface.

In order to overcome the restriction on that external website, you must "change" the IP that this site is seeing as incoming traffic from you.
Since you cannot change your real WAN-IP (this is powers-reserved by your ISP), common
circumvention is to use a proxy.
Technically, your client will connect to that proxy (with your real WAN-IP) and the proxy will forward that request, through its own WAN-IP to the final destination site.

...as an example, try anonymouse.org -> http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

So the suggestion from "r00t4rd3d", above, is correct. Assuming the router is currently using it's own MAC, clicking the "clone" button on the router's WAN configuration page will set the router to use your computer's MAC the next time it requests an IP. Since the old IP is still leased to the router's real MAC, this will get you a different IP address assigned by the ISP's gateway.

We do not know why the website is blocking connections from the OP.
...the newly assigned IP will still belong to that ISP and location, what might still fall under the blocking rule applied by that said website.

If you trying to view a website out side your country, or a site that is blocked by your ISP then you have to use a proxy.

Hit up the google for detailed explanation.

We do not know why the website is blocking connections from the OP.
...the newly assigned IP will still belong to that ISP and location, what might still fall under the blocking rule applied by that said website.

You are correct, he did not say why he is being blocked so we don't know.

He said his IP is being blocked, that he wanted to change his IP, and that he did NOT want to use a proxy. So it makes sense to simply change the IP and see if that corrects the issue.

If he changes to a different ISP-assigned IP and is still blocked, then it is likely the block is something wider like a country restriction -- in which case you are correct, he's only going to get around that with a proxy or VPN.

Love the name and the avatar, BTW. Don't panic!