What's new

How to connect desktop to Netgear WNDR3700 wirelessly . . .

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

weh

Occasional Visitor
Currently using D-Link DGL-4300 with P45/E8400 desktop (hard-wired) and old laptop (wireless-G). About to purchase new laptop (wireless-N) and a second desktop (P55/i7-860). Need new wireless router (most probably the new Netgear WNDR3700 as that seems to be the top choice and its additional cost is not significant).

Problem: New desktop cannot be hard-wired (not practical because of construction and better half objects to "unsightly" wires). Distance from router location = 30 feet, 2 interior walls.

Question: Assuming the new Netgear WNDR3700, what wireless adapter (or external device) for the new desktop? Want maximum bidirectional throughput. Can be connected via gigabit ethernet or USB-2.0 externally or PCI or PCI/e adapters mounted internally. Antenna(e) can be built-in or external. Whatever is likely to produce the best result is the determining factor.

Your advice greatly appreciated.

No one has responded (although it has been less than a day). Hopefully, someone can give me advice on the options....

If I choose the Netgear WNDR3700 router with dual-band N, am I better off going with a Netgear product to connect the new desktop machine or a product from someone else? The options appear to be as follows:
  • Netgear WNDA3100 - dual-band wireless-N USB adapter supporting a/b/g/n
  • Netgear WN111 - single-band wireless-N USB adapter supporting b/g/n
  • Netgear WN311B - single-band wireless-N PCI board w/ external antenna supporting b/g/n
  • Similar devices from other manufacturers
My first inclination is to go with the WNDA3100 -- dual-band router / dual-band adapter -- however, I'm on unfamiliar ground here: I've set up wireless routers in the past; however, the connected computers have always been laptops with integrated wireless adapters or cards that inserted into PCMCIA or Cardbus slots. In theory, there is little difference except that there are differences: a large metal case computer case being primary and the near-impossibility of maneuvering the chassis for better signal being another.

Some wireless network adapters intended for use with desktops have one or more antennas attached directly to the adapter card backplane. (Are these detachable and/or extendable with the proper cable?) Others, like the WN311B have the antenna attached by a cord. I would assume antenna placement can greatly affect connectivity and throughput. USB wireless adapters appear to be very convenient; however, placement could be a problem. Netgear notes "added convenience with a USB cable extension." Am I reading between the lines correctly when I infer that this is essentially required for better placement resulting in better operation?

Then there are similar products from Linksys, D-Link and others. Do they have better options?

Advice from anyone have experience with these things will be appreciated.

Internal PCI adapters are dying out. You won't find any dual-band products.

Unless you have high 2.4 GHz band interference, you can use a single-band adapter. You don't have to match vendors.

I recommend using an Ethernet bridge. This gives you maximum placement flexibility and the ability to connect multiple devices via one wireless link.

A few possible choices:
Linksys WGA600N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter Reviewed

Linksys WET610N Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band Reviewed

D-Link DAP-1522 Review: Dual-band Draft 11n for the Masses?

tim-

do these bridges have the same range as a USB adapter (say the wnda3100)? I understand the flexibility of the bridge compared to the adapter, but could a dual band router also be converted to work as a bridge? Then you'd have a built in switch, right?

do these bridges have the same range as a USB adapter (say the wnda3100)? I understand the flexibility of the bridge compared to the adapter, but could a dual band router also be converted to work as a bridge? Then you'd have a built in switch, right?
Same or better range.

I know some alternate distros enable WDS bridging/repeating. But not sure if they support client mode, which lets them act as wireless-to-Ethernet adapters with any router or AP.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online

Members online