What's new

How to connect NAS on a different LAN? (Or should I bother?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

silly

New Around Here
Hi

I am hoping to get some help on my current network setup.

It is currently set up as below - all wired connections. I decided not to connect my PC to my router (dream machine) because my ISP offered 2x1000M lines to the home (devices connect to Port 1 and Port 4 of the Huawei device) and so I thought I would get faster speeds or be able to better use the available bandwidth. However, this set up doesn't let my PC access the NAS directly.

I know if I plug my PC into my router (dream machine), I can see my NAS on my PC so all wiring and devices are working.

How do I get the below setup working so that my PC can access the NAS? Or should I not bother because it's not safe, or because accessing another 1000M line is not worth it?

Thanks very much in advance.

PC scheme.jpg

Best i can tell that puts your PC directly on the internet with no firewall protection and no routing. Accessing your NAS would be the same as anyone on the internet accessing it. Not clear if the ONT will provide any direct route to the NAS anyway.
Put everything behind the DM. See if the 2xGbit can be lagged together out of the ONT to your DM router. i doubt you can saturate even 1 Gbit line with either internal or internet traffic, so it is likely a moot point and just marketing.