What's new

How to open DIR-655?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T

TURBO

Hi. Glad to join this great review site and forum. Every time I get a new router, I open it to make sure all connections are properly seated.

This procedure it's been a rule from me, since I discovered a loose antenna connection in one of my previous routers (ASUS).

Today, I tried to open my new DIR-655 router and I couldn't find a nice way to open it. Can anyone tell me how in this world I can open the DIR-655 router?.

I used all search engines on the world wide web! and nowhere this information to be found!. Whoever writes a procedure for doing this, is going to be famous!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very simple to open, as are all of D-Link's current routers.
Remove the two rubber feet on the bottom rear of the router, remove the two screws and gently pry off the lid.

Very simple to open, as are all of D-Link's current routers.
Remove the two rubber feet on the bottom rear of the router, remove the two screws and gently pry off the lid.

Many thanks for the reply, but where to "pry" is what I don't see. You got it know where to pry or you can scratch this baby. Is it possible to post a pic where you insert the screw driver?. Million thanks.

TURBO

Many thanks for the reply, but where to "pry" is what I don't see. You got it know where to pry or you can scratch this baby. Is it possible to post a pic where you insert the screw driver?. Million thanks.
I use a thin metal ruler and insert it at the back of the cover, between the cover and the ridge of the enclosure sides. There are some plastic snap tabs that hold down the cover, but they will give with gentle pressure.

Hi again. Thanks very much for the explanation. I successfully open it without scratch it a bit.

I don't like cases. I believe they stop the air flow and damage electronics. Here is my Dir 655 mod:

Installed some rubber feet from Radio Shack:
dir655_4.jpg

dir655_3.jpg

I Used a laptop cooler with two fans, to dissipate heat from the circuits. Cheap ones also works!. I like this one because it has high and low rpm switch.

As you might notice, I am also using a USB hub (connected to router) for connecting my USB laser printer, memory stick and supply voltage to the laptop cooler, all via USB:

dir655_2.jpg

Installed 9dbi antennas for maximum TX and RX. All connected to my gigabit Buffalo NAS:
dir655_1.jpg

So far, so good. Cool like ice. I can even touch the little heat sinks with my hands. If the Leds were bright, now they are brighter!.

Since routers are designed to be in a static location, I think this approach will improve stability and performance. So far, I went to the "wireless statistics" tab and I do have less TX/RX drop packets and errors.

I like stability, it is my main concern. Thanks to all.

TURBO

Interesting approach. Too bad that you didn't try your approach with a Linksys WRT610N, which people suspect has heat-related problems.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

After this mod, I have 0 TX drop packets, 0 RX drop paquets and 132 errors. Way lower than before!.

Hi thiggins, can you compare my readings to yours and let us know your Dir 655's readings, from the traffic statistics tab?. Thank you

Hi thiggins, can you compare my readings to yours and let us know your Dir 655's readings, from the traffic statistics tab?. Thank you

Sorry. I no longer have the product.