What's new

How to permanently disable autoconf on router (wsdd2 and avahi-daemon)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qwinn

Occasional Visitor
So I hate zeroconf/autoconf for security reasons and try to disable it everywhere. Not sure how to go about doing so on the router though. When I ssh into my router and do 'netstat -tulpn', I see that wsdd2 is listening on port 3702 and avahi-daemon on port 5353. I would like to disable them and have those ports closed if possible.

I did do my due diligence and searched the forums for answers, and based on this thread ( https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-lts-release-45ec.67509/#post-631404 ) , it seems like at least a temporary solution for wsdd2 is to do:

nvram set wsdd_enable=0
nvram commit

I am still quite new to merlin firmware but I suspect that the above commands would only be effective until the next reboot. How would I go about making it permanent, and what would be the equivalent for avahi-daemon? Is simply uninstalling wsdd2 and avahi-daemon on the router possible? If so, what would be the commands to do so within an ssh shell?

wsdd2 is used for Samba support so turning off Samba will remove that.

To stop avahi-daemon you'd need to create a user script that runs the service stop_mdns command.

wsdd2 is used for Samba support so turning off Samba will remove that.

To stop avahi-daemon you'd need to create a user script that runs the service stop_mdns command.

Awesome, was looking and finally found the way to turn Samba off in the GUI under USB Applications (I don't even have a USB drive plugged in so didn't think to look there initially, heh). That did the trick and closed even more unneeded open ports than I was hoping to manage. Excellent, thanks.

So I'll start looking into how to do user scripts, thanks.