What's new

How's TP-link routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adaweawe

New Around Here
Is there a reason why tp link is not mentioned much on these forums? Do they make bad products or are people just not familiar with the brand.?

For example typing in a search for TP link in this forum yields only three pages, but a search for "Asus" or "Netgear" deals 13 pages and 10 pages respectively.

I have a TP link and one of the features I enjoy that other routers don't have is that on the stock TP link firmware there is an option to limit the bandwidth for individual clients via their IP address. I've looked at other brands of routers, but their stock firmware only allows relative bandwidth control for various applications such as video streaming or gaming and it automatically adjusts the ratios according to your settings. They all lack the IP specific manual bandwidth control that TP link hands. For example, I could give my laptop and upper limit of 10 Mbps and my PC limit of 20 Mbps.

At least this is the case for routers in the $60 range or under. Even though TP link sell some really cheap routers such as for only $20, the cheap ones still feature this IP-based manual bandwidth control. Other brands you may have to go over 100 bucks

However, my TP link router is dropping connections about once a day and I have to unplug and replg to regain Wi-Fi. Maybe it's just an old router (it's probably about two or three years old) but other than that and taking into account the ability to specify IP-based bandwidth control on stock firmware, it seems like a nice router and a nice brand. But I haven't really used other brands especially the popular ones like Netgear, Linksys, and Asus so I don't really have much to compare.

But now I'm trying to buy a new router since I have the Wi-Fi dropping issue, and I'm wondering whether I should continue to go with TP link (I have my eye on their three antenna model WDR 4300) or would I be better off going with another brand?

Then there's the issue of installing custom firmware like DD WRT or open WRT, and although the TP link model is in supported device list, I'm thinking perhaps other brands are better supported than the TP link? With the custom firmware fix issues such as Wi-Fi dropping? Would it improve the range of the router? In regard to the Wi-Fi dropping, I feel like it's due to a hardware issue because the router did not have this problem when it was brand-new only after few years. Despite being a hardware failure, when installing custom firmware have a chance of remedying the issue despite being a result of hardware decay?

Last edited:
TP-Link has mostly been known in the U.S. for making inexpensive routers. They have dominant market share in China, where they are based. Not as known for high-end products here in the U.S.

People have said good things about their switches and VPN routers.

If you like TP-Link's stuff, go ahead and try a newer model. Not sure if it will fix your "dropping" problem. It could be due to a change in your wireless environment. Might be worth it to use inSSIDer to run a scan and see if there are new, strong networks in your area.

Which model do you have? I have a TL-WR1043ND and it also drops wifi occasionally. The SSID will completely disappear. Once I reboot it, it works fine for anywhere from a few days to a few months. I bought it so I could use Gargoyle firmware and set a monthly bandwidth quota. Lately it's also been giving me problems while gaming (wired), where the connection will drop anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. For me, that's unacceptable, so I'm probably going to be getting an Asus RT-AC66U or D-Link DGL-5500 soon (StreamBoost sounds promising).

WR1041N v2 00000000

its the chinese version. yeah, i accidentally bought the chinese ver off ebay heh. tough to navigate the chinese menu but i figureed it out

i find if i just unplug every night and replug to reset the rest of the day wifi is fine. otherwise yes it drops

i really like tp link's bandwidth ip-based control though

I'd think you could download and use the No. America firmware in English.

Having to power cycle it daily is crazy. Mine (not that brand) runs for months and only gets rebooted because I fiddle.

I have a TL-WR1043ND too, the wireless is very weak, I don't use it.
I got it from that Sam router monitoring program the other year, that was a waste of time.

I have a TL-WR842ND V1 and it runs fine except that the NAT fluctuates through out the day from open, moderate to strict on my 2 Xbox 360's and PS3. I even open the ports and that still doesn't help. I just tried this router out and now I'm back to my RT-N66U.

I got an Amped router and I only have to reboot it for firmware upgrades. Having to reboot every day is crazy and It would drive me crazy as I have servers going 24-7!!!

yes, I've owned a variety of WiFi routers and APs (consumer) over many years. None needed, nor would I tolerate, a daily or weekly or monthly reboot.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!