What's new

HP COLOR LASER MFP M283FDW WI-FI CONNECTIVITY UNSTABLE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dataman64

New Around Here
I am having connectivity stability issues with my HP MFP M283FDW while using a wi-fi connection. I have reset the network settings and re-entered the SSID of my 2.4ghz band of my ASUS RT-AX82U router.

The printer shows it has a good connection to the network, but my computer’s HP Smart app is having trouble seeing it. I pinged it and it loses between 40-100% of the packets, depending on its “mood” that testing day.

On the attachment, you can see where the HP Smart app cycles between connected & disconnected.

I have used this printer wirelessly for 4 years with the HP SMART software and wi-fi connection without problems. Recently, I swapped my Netgear router for an ASUS. Since this is a new issue, I’m wondering if it could be the RT-AX82U router’s Firewall settings. I also thought it could be Windows Security Firewall settings, but the printer worked fine until the router swap.

I can order a USB-B cable and hook it directly to the router, but the firewall might still be a problem.

I am new to networking and know just enough to be dangerous in the rabbit-hole of this gaming router’s vast settings, so any tips are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20241006_163209.gif
    20241006_163209.gif
    737.4 KB · Views: 6
Connect a LAN cable between the router and the printer. Assign a fixed IP address in the printer network config. Reserve that address in the ASUS. i think it uses the MAC id of the printer as well but i have not done this on ASUS in a few years. The IP address needs to be outside of the range used by the DHCP server.
You should be able to set it up as an IP printer as minimum. Windows should be able to find it and load the correct drivers.

It sounds like there is too much interference on the 2.4GHz band or too much power.

If you connect it by USB to the router, i think you loose all of the features except basic print and possibly scan. The router likely uses Linix LP printer drivers and maybe the scan driver. AIOs generally have not worked well.

Have your tried the HP support pages for poor wifi stability ?

Last edited:
Make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of HP Smart. On older versions, it can do this horrible thing of storing local IP addresses for the printer rather than using the device name or MAC based ID. Do anything that changes the local IP of the printer, and things used to go wrong.
If you find that the version of HP Smart you are using is "old", then the radical fix is to back the machine up, uninstall smart, and remove any remaining printers from control panel that reference the printer - old versions of Smart will install both a Smart printer device and a conventional printer device. Reboot and reinstall the latest version of Smart and add the printer back - this time you'll have only the Smart printer device.
* On Windows 10 and earlier, you can sometimes fix the issue by statically or manually assigning the IP address of the printer to what it used to be when using the old router.
** Off to check that HP hasn't reintroduced the print by email bug - if they have I|'ll post a followup!

Follow up! My fear having written the previous post is that HP eprint may have somehow been re-enabled on my own HP Printer. A quick test, and yes it has been! So any idiot who can figure out an easily guessable eprint email address has been able to send print jobs to my printer. As these print jobs are delivered by email, they'll sit on HP's server until you turn the printer on, or if you are not there and the printer is in standby such an idiot can just send a stupid print job that will empty all the paper and possibly toner/ink from the printer. This is not theoretical, it's happened to me!
*** Turn off eprint on the printer and on the HP server *** - you can still use HP Smart remotely with eprint turned off!

I agree to use a USB cable only as a last resort. Try an Ethernet cable.

Is the 2.4GHz band in the same room stable for other devices? Did you 'forget' the SSID on the printer before reconnecting to the router?

Doesn't sound like a firewall issue, but that is easy enough to rule out by disabling all of them.

My HP printer has a reserved IP address in the router settings; I've never had a connection issue with the last two ASUS routers, for whatever that might be worth. Others on this forum have complained about the Wi-Fi on the RT-AX82U, but not necessarily a wide-spread issue.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!