What's new

HP V1910 - fan needed in room temperature?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hati

Occasional Visitor
If I would take the fan out of (24 port) V1910 would it overheat in room temperature (under +25°C in summertime)?

Why do you want to do that?

Can you take the case off it and maybe see if you could fit a quieter fan - I'm assuming fan noise is the issue. As this would involve taking the top panel off you could check for dust while you are at it. Unfortunately, the trick of mounting this vertically to provide better airflow probably won't work. It's an old switch though, so if it's not in a rack would there be anything to lose by modifying the case?

If there is a fan as original design forced airflow is needed for this device to operate properly.

If there is a fan as original design forced airflow is needed for this device to operate properly.

It needs a fan to stay cool in a full datacenter rack. There is much less heat to get rid of in regular room so does 1910 run so much hotter than a passively cooled 1800 or 1820 that it needs active cooling in less demanding environments too. For what little I've put it on power the fan seems to have only one speed, full. (It currently sits on a shelf acting as a spare for an 1800.)

Then remove the fan and see what happens. If the switch stops working at some point - get a new one with no fan.