What's new

I am trying to setup a Home Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dualquad440

New Around Here
I apologize about the length of this problem in advance. I will probably apologize again at the end as well.

I have two story house, the walls are 4" brick, and the floors and 6" concrete, I live in Europe. I have a 24MB link but I really only acquire 18 when I download. I am having connectivity issues to the WAP. My lower floor, which is where I have my ADSL, works without any problems whatsoever. On the Lower floor I have a NetGear Wireless-N Dual Band Modem Router DGND3300. Off this Modem/Router I have a Powerline adapter going to the wall right below it, about 14" from the Router. The other matching pair of the Powerline is attached on the opposite end of the room going to my PS3. My PS3 can hit 18Mbps (of the 24 I pay for) I have my PS3 set up as the DMZ IP. On the other end of the same floor I have an old Linksys WAP54G Wireless AP that is for covering that end of the house, again, this area is covered. No problems whatsoever. Next paragraph will be the issue.

I have a common stairwell which has a house on the other side of mine, fully enclosed, all covered. In the stairwell I have another Powerline adapter which is taking the feed from a supply line connected to the floor that has the Modem its dedicated to just be for the powerline, no appliances or gadgets are connected to this circuit. Off the Powerline in the stairwell I have the patch cable feeding a 5-port Netgear switch. Off of this switch I have a 30 foot CAT6 cable (premade) going to the upper floor which is connected directly into a NetGear WAP WN802T. I can't get any sort of Internet connectivity from the WAP. In case you are wondering about the switch and why it is there, I am also installing a DVR which is connected to surveillance cameras which will monitor my premises. I hope to eventually access the playback from my Droid device through the Internet. The DVR will be connected to this Gigabit switch as well as provide another WAP to my garage, where I work on my car and could use a little internet radio...but first..one problem at a time.

I have accessed the GUI from my browser at (WN802Tv2) 192.168.0.233. I get in, change to a Static IP address of 192.168.0.55. I rename SSID to NetGearUpstairs. I change the security to WPA2 and place the new Network passphrase in.

I thought that is all there was to it...I can't get any signal coming off the unit. My computer & tablet can see the AP SSID but it won't go any further than that. I am sure I am missing a parameter.

My questions are ..What do I do with the AP? The gateway, the DNS servers, the DHCP, do I leave the radio intact on N, or do I switch to B/G? Do I leave the DHCP enabled or disabled? I have been going at this for about 4 days and all I can see are numbers dancing around. I even brought a Network Admin and he left pulling out his hair.

I even have a Netgear WNDR3300 I am trying to wire up in another part of my house for my wife's study but first thing is first.

I apologize again for the lengthy write up. I just wanted to paint a picture of what is going on in my house so as to reduce confusion...

Many thanks in advance,

Pete

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!