What's new

I need a NAS that's as dumb as possible...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

K

Kurgen

...that is, nothing more complex than a net-accessible unit to house two drives, with identical content, managed manually by me over the net'. I've had some painful nightmares with RAID-controlled mirroring in the past, where syncing goes bananas, or completely loses the plot, with file discrepancies going unreported etc, etc, so I now tolerate the drudgery of sorting the duplication transfers myself.

Basically, I have 2 x 1TB SATAII drives, currently living in a bare-bones net'ed PC, which is too bulky and noisy, hence my current mission. They're already populated with approx 600GB of identical data, and I want to stick 'em into a NAS box, connected to a router (or non-DHCP-served static if poss, as the rest of my net' is currently), and that's it. A dumb file box.

Any recommendations for make, model etc?

Also, I've read that certain (all?) NAS'es use a proprietary file format, i.e. non FAT/32/NTFS? Is this so, and if so, will I have to wipe the drives and start the (laborious) compilation process again?

Phew...

I hope this isn't too much of an ask, considering it's my first post here, but I'm desperate to find a new "home" for my two big boys, before someone accidentally sits a 2KG magnet on top of them. :eek: :D

Thanks in advance,

K.

So you want the NAS to support JBOD, not RAID1, i.e. just want to see each drive?

You might look at the D-Link DNS-321 or 323.

...that is, nothing more complex than a net-accessible unit to house two drives, with identical content, managed manually by me over the net'. I've had some painful nightmares with RAID-controlled mirroring in the past, where syncing goes bananas, or completely loses the plot, with file discrepancies going unreported etc, etc, so I now tolerate the drudgery of sorting the duplication transfers myself.

You want two separate volumes and will manually sync the contents between the two. Any current-generation NAS would support this.

Also, I've read that certain (all?) NAS'es use a proprietary file format, i.e. non FAT/32/NTFS? Is this so, and if so, will I have to wipe the drives and start the (laborious) compilation process again?

Most off-the-shelf NASes use a variant of the Linux file system such as ext2 or ext3. These are not proprietary file formats; NTFS, on the other hand, IS a proprietary format by Microsoft. If you absolutely need to use NTFS, consider a NAS that uses Windows Home Server. HP has several models, or you can build one yourself.

If you don't want RAID1 you could consider UNRAID. It's a bit weird, but It sounds like it will do what you want.

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record pushing Netgear, but with their latest firmware you can configure your Netgear NAS to "scrub" the array on a weekly basis, which re-syncs the array to make sure there are no quiet corruptions happening.