What's new

I need ideas for multiple AC Access Points

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R32Raines

New Around Here
Ok, first world problem here (I know, it's sad)...

My wired network consists of a Cisco ISA550 router and Cisco SG200-26 Gigabit Smart Switch., Then for wireless I use wireless routers in AP mode. I use an Asus RT-N66U for B/G/N clients. Then I have a Netgear R6250 for AC clients. Now I just got Sprints new free RT-AC66U. So I have 2 AC APs. Both are 3x3 1300AC.

So I'm thinking what can I use 2 AC APs for. Both are very good for their range and speed. My network is in the center of my house, and I get good speeds and range anywhere with just 1 AP. Not a big house. I'm in an older neighborhood with hardly any other wireless networks to interfere with on any band.

What should I do with 2 AC APs? I have 7 AC clients... 1 is a 3x3, 4 are 2x2 , and 2 are 1x1. Only 1 5Ghz N client, and I have no problem moving it to 2.4Ghz if needed. I can't decide what to do.

BTW, internet is 100 meg fiber from TDS Telecom.

That's a lot of AC clients! Hopefully they are not all contending for AC WIFI at the same time. If they are, you may want to configure that second AP, so your AP clients can get some WIFI bandwidth.

EDIT: AP clients should read AC clients..

Last edited:
Well, in 5GHz, AC is well behaved with mixed client, so feel free to put the N client over there, it'll be fine...

I would perhaps turn off the older B/G/N radios on the NG R6250... you could probably decom the unit, and move all traffic over to the Asus boxes B/G/N in 2.4GHz, and AC on the 5GHz side - perhaps ch149 on one, and ch48 on the other... or try single channel on both at 149.. play it by ear and see what works...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!