What's new

I think I need a router that I can configure for VPN for IP location adjustments

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ScottGT

New Around Here
Hi,

I am a USA expat living in central america. I pay for and use USA streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Video. I use a VPN service to access these without location restriction from my laptop.

However, I have both a Chromecast and FireTV and I am interested in accessing the same streaming services using these devices. Unfortunately there is no way to use the VPN easily.

I am behind an ASUS RT-N56U router. I have looked at configuring it for the VPN services but have been unsuccessful in the configuration.

I am wiling to purchase a new router that I can configure easily for VPN services that will allow me to change my IP location.

Any recommendations for routers with reasonable performance (B/G/N) and price that are also easy to configure?

Thanks

The simplest solution might be for you to use Astrill VPN. The have an app that you can install directly on your router if you are using Merlin's firmware.

Streaming video will only be satisfactory of you have a 15 - 20 Mbps Internet connection from your ISP in Central America. When running a VPN on your router you will be doing well to get 50% of that speed when using a VPN.

Other VPN provider's services will work fine but the setup might take some time as they don't have or may not have as automated installation process as Astrill.

If you want an even more turnkey solution look at the hardware and services that Sabai technology offers through www.routersource.com.

Router and 3 of the WUMC710 bridges are on the 2nd floor, 1 bridge is on the 1st floor. I think I'm loading them up pretty good too... 4 TiVos, 1 TiVo Stream, 2 XBOX 360s, 1 PC, 1 PS3, 1 Wii, 1 AppleTV - about half or more in use at any given time

Last edited:
The simplest solution might be for you to use Astrill VPN. The have an app that you can install directly on your router if you are using Merlin's firmware.

Streaming video will only be satisfactory of you have a 15 - 20 Mbps Internet connection from your ISP in Central America. When running a VPN on your router you will be doing well to get 50% of that speed when using a VPN.

Other VPN provider's services will work fine but the setup might take some time as they don't have or may not have as automated installation process as Astrill.

If you want an even more turnkey solution look at the hardware and services that Sabai technology offers through www.routersource.com.

Or you could get a new ASUS router (AC68 or AC87) and set it as VPN client and all devices on your network will benefit.