What's new

Ideal router placement?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kamaran

Regular Contributor
So the advice I have read seems to suggest as high up as possible and in a central location, given my rooms are separated by walls, would it be therefore logical for me to place my router in the loft in a central location over all the rooms?

I live in the UK, so in theory temperatures shouldn't be too extreme either way

So the advice I have read seems to suggest as high up as possible and in a central location, given my rooms are separated by walls, would it be therefore logical for me to place my router in the loft in a central location over all the rooms?

I live in the UK, so in theory temperatures shouldn't be too extreme either way

central in 3 dimensions. Get a mental picture where the WiFi router or access point is a light bulb and your walls and floors and ceilings are like tinted windows. You walk around and observe how bright the light bulb is or isn't from various vantage points

sometimes, just the WiFi router isn't enough, no matter where it's placed and you need one or more access points (APs). That can be very inexpensive.

Last edited:
Central location is best, unless you have a 10,000sqft house, then you will need several routers.

On my android phone, I have an app called WiFi Analyzer, its free and it works well. I use it at work when setting up access points in large offices. It has many features.

You can use that app to figure out where the dead spots or weak spots are in your house. Watch the Signal Meter and try to keep the signal level under -70db.

So I ran a test and placed a router in the attic, results were awful, signal was mid-weak in all rooms, so looks like another AP is needed in the dead spot.

Thanks to everyone.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!