What's new

In need of a new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chas1723

New Around Here
I am currently running an Asus N66U router and am in need of a new one soon. I only have about a 1400 square foot house and the router is centered in the house. I have a new synology ds918+ hooked to my router. I would like to take advantage of the link aggregation offered by my NAS if possible.

I currently only have 8 meg internet speed but they are upgrading my area soon to gigabit speed. I will probably end up with either 50 or 100 meg when that happens. I plan on running Ethernet cable to my main computer as well as my entertainment center. I will only have 12 to 15 devices on Wi-Fi.

My current router is starting to loose the 5 ghz channel which is why I am searching for routers now. I have looked at the Asus AC86U, AC88U and the netgear r8500. What would be a good router for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LAG is intended for when there are many many clients accessing the server. Your application would not be likely to saturate a single gigabit network connection. No advantage to use LAG.

Any recommendations for a router? Either the ones I mentioned or something else entirely. The Asus AC86 is on the top of my list currently.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Asus AC86 is on the top of my list currently.
Myself, I'm not a quick learner.
  1. When I upgraded from my N66U I leaned towards sticking with Asus because I already knew how to use it.
  2. Over the years I've become quite attached to my Asus real time traffic monitor. It's the first thing I go to when things are behaving "different". (Is it me? Is it my ISP? Traffic monitor is a "starting point").
Not saying they're a "deal maker" but they could be a "tie breaker".

Last edited:
Go for the 86U newer CPU that’s great at VPN and improved WiFi chipset. The R8500 and 88U use an older WiFi chipset and weaker CPU (runs hot).

Go for the 86U newer CPU that’s great at VPN and improved WiFi chipset. The R8500 and 88U use an older WiFi chipset and weaker CPU (runs hot).

DITTO. And I also agree with @degrub's statement above. It is my understanding that LAG will not allow a single client to access the NAS at 2 Gbps but will allow two clients to access the NAS at 1 Gbps each.