What's new

In need of an access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C

ciphermonk

It seems that the DIR-655 can't be turned into an access point. Once you get past the 1.04 firmware release, it's router only. So now I need a 2.4 GHz AP to handle 802.11n/g traffic. Any suggestions?

What AP functionality do you need? If it's just wireless coverage you can still turn off DHCP on the 655.

Tim the problem I'm having is that the 655 isn't passing traffic to the rest of the network. With nothing connected to the WAN interface, it's not passing traffic through. From what I'm been reading online, this seems to be a common problem with this router. I spent 2 hours last night trying different options and it won't work. With the DIR-655, there isn't a bridge mode setting (least not in the 1.21 firmware) and in the network configuration screen, there's no place to set a default gateway.

I need an AP that can handle 802.11n/g traffic on 2.4Ghz. The WNHDE111 is already covering Ghz. Most of my wireless devices can't run on the 5ghz spectrum.

Tim the problem I'm having is that the 655 isn't passing traffic to the rest of the network. With nothing connected to the WAN interface, it's not passing traffic through.
Passing traffic through what? Please describe how you have it configured and connected to your LAN.

Patch cable in port one of the DIR-655 which is connected to the switch that the rest of my network is on. I can associate with the 655 and get an IP address but I can't access anything on the internet from it.

Have you checked the IP address info that your wireless client is getting to make sure that it is correct?

Can you ping other LAN machines? Can you ping an Internet IP, like Google (64.233.187.99).

Make sure MAC address filtering is disabled.

MAC filtering was a good call. Disabled that and it's working now. Thanks for your help mate... Braindead move on my part to leave that enabled. :)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!