What's new

include a x86 dual gigabit linux pc in the router charts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rigolo

New Around Here
My Cable provider is upgrading their network to (EURO)DOCSIS 3.0 and is going to offer 50Mbit downloads now and moving to 120Mbit download in Feb 2010.

I am currently using a mITX VIA motherboard with 3 LAN ports (1x Gigabit, 2 x 100Mbit) as my router in combination with OpenWRT for x86.

My whole internal network is Gigabit and I am even using VLAN's to keep the Kids PC's seperated from the rest of the home network. (They have a habit of getting invested with Spyware every couple of weeks.). Because my whole internal network is Gigabit I am using one of the 100Mbit ports as my uplink to the Cablemodem. With 120Mbit/s downloads on the way that means that will be a bottleneck.

So I am looking in getting a nice mATX board and add a 2 port Gigabit PCI-e network card to it. But now I am curious to see what the WAN-LAN/LAN-WAN speeds are of such a setup.

• Could you test such a setup and include the results in the router charts?
That way you can see if such a sollution is a viable alternative to a dedicated router and how it compares to them. Ideally I would like to see it tested with OpenWRT but using a standard Ubuntu (server) installation should also be good as I would expect most people to pick that as a basis for adding routing capabilities.