What's new

Inconsistent UDP and ICMP performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfatula

Regular Contributor
So, I have a QOS rule to make all traffic for my VOIP adapter have highest priority, only the mac address is filled in, nothing else. I have a 1Mbps upload speed, VOIP uses 10KBs. I have a backup process ongoing all day every day, and, limit that to 60% of my upload defined as .8 MBps. So, ASUS screen says up to 491 Kbps. That's half my upload true bandwidth, which in reality is pretty consistent. This backup process is assigned lowest priority. SO, works fine with browsing, streaming, whatever, it does not slow any of those down that you can tell.

However, I have been having VOIP issues since i got this router. Previous router did fine. So, all network devices unhooked, just VOIP adapter and computer doing lowest priority backup over WAN. I would expect great performance, but not getting it.

An analysis of ping times to anywhere I know pings consistently from my network shows ping times of around 20ms, except, every 10th one or so which will jump to 200-300ms. If I stop the backup, suddenly, they stay consistent 20ms. It's just every so often, they jump to 200-300ms with the backup running (even pinging from the router via ssh session). Which is probably why my VOIP is not performing so well, it tends to not like widely varying times. Even using TCP pinging, same thing happens. So, it's not an ICMP issue.

I wonder if my upload is not as consistent as I think? But, not sure why it seemed to work with previous *much* dumber router.

I don't see why this would do this on the RT-AC68U. Somehow, packets are getting delayed. I assume it is QOS. Watching the real time performance by device, it does in fact get limited so lowest is definitely assigned. I can assign lowest 10% and in fact, the bandwidth goes down a lot immediately.

So, given that I am only using 50% of my outbound bandwidth, and, the only other action going on is a ICMP or TCPING, I don't understand why I would see ping time varying so widely with the backup running.

Any ideas?

In case it is necessary, is there a way in a cron job to adjust the upload bandwidth by priority, specifically, the lowest queue? Maybe I can set it low during the day, and, high at night. Not sure what command is used to set those values?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!