What's new

Inexpensive AP to provide NON-DFS to FireSticks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GRMICHMUSH

New Around Here
I am looking for an inexpensive AP to provide NON-DFS to FireSticks. I have a working AiMesh network at my home which consists of a RT-AX86U (Router), RT-AX86S (Node) and a second RT-AX86S (Node). If I select channel 136, I can get 800Mbps. If I select or allow the router to pick a non-dfs channel, I am around 300Mbps. However, I have 2 Amazon Fire TV devices that will not connect to dfs channels. So, my genius solution is to add an access point (with a different ssid), set it to use something non-dfs and have those 2 devices use that. However, I don't want to spend a boat load of money for 2 devices. I was thinking of a renewed/refurbished RT-AX1800S, RT-AX55... Is there better options for this setup?

Just turn off DFS channels in your wireless. Unless you have a huge place, you likely have too much RF signal bouncing around anyway so don't add more noise by adding a 4th AP..
What do you have that requires 800 Mbit/s link rate anyway ?

Just turn off DFS channels in your wireless. Unless you have a huge place, you likely have too much RF signal bouncing around anyway so don't add more noise by adding a 4th AP..
What do you have that requires 800 Mbit/s link rate anyway ?
It's not really a need. It's I have it and don't want to downgrade it. The lower and upper 5ghz channels both already have a very strong signal from a different network (equal to mine) that I am competing with. I am alone on 136. Also, one of my mesh nodes is wireless. On 136, I get 250Mbps. On non-dfs channels I get 25-50Mbps on that node.
To avoid confusion on how I have an equally strong opposing signal in my house, it goes like this:
ISP Gateway with "Storm Ready WIFI" into the house. My upstairs tenant uses the ISP gateway WIFI. My router is connected to gateway via ethernet. I use my routers wifi and ethernet. Yes it is a double NAT by design. Gateway squashes lower channels. Storm Ready squashes upper channels. I would like to use the free and clear 136.

1) have your tenant get their own ISP service installed upstairs (or commission it yourself) and turn down their wifi power. Avoid legal liability for anything they do over the internet.
2) Run your wifi as you need without blasting out the upstairs. Both will be happier.

It seems like the gateway Wi-Fi and the storm ready Wi-Fi are redundant. Maybe you could disable one of them and have the tenant use the other

Also, these are just fire sticks. Maybe you could configure them to use 2.4 GHz and they would be fine and you wouldn't notice any problems

Also, if the fire sticks just connect to the outside internet, maybe you could connect them directly to the ISP Wi-Fi. If they don't need to access local network resources. It's not a big deal

It seems like the gateway Wi-Fi and the storm ready Wi-Fi are redundant. Maybe you could disable one of them and have the tenant use the other

Also, these are just fire sticks. Maybe you could configure them to use 2.4 GHz and they would be fine and you wouldn't notice any problems

Also, if the fire sticks just connect to the outside internet, maybe you could connect them directly to the ISP Wi-Fi. If they don't need to access local network resources. It's not a big deal
Thank you for your reply.
Storm Ready WIFI is a battery powered fail over to 4G LTE if power or internet fails. When everything is working, it acts as an access point. No way to disable its access point mode unless you unplug it but, then battery would die.
Firesticks direct to ISP would be the best of your suggestions but, then they need to stream plex over the internet instead of lan Also, loses the ability to use the remote app.
2.4ghz is awful on the RT-AX86Us. I don't know why but, I've seen many people trying to figure it out on forums such as these. On 2.4ghz, the firesticks will say no internet access available or check network settings.
Thanks again for your reply. I don't mean to shoot down every suggestion but, I've been over thinking it for a while. I'm good at over thinking.
Also, I can not change channels on any of the ISPs equipment. They yanked that ability away and now control it on their end because they know best.