What's new

inSSider always recommending channel 52?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
When I run this program on my mac, it always recommends channel 52 for my 5ghz. That channel is not available on my RT3100 Asus router. Would it be advised to go to 149, or 48? I am not sure why it recommends 52, I think that is only a european channel.

Utilities like inssider are not the end all and be all of selecting a proper channel. I stopped using them for over a year now after I spent way too much time gathering the useless* info they provided.

Useless, because more often than not, the recommended channel was not the one to provide the best overall throughput, stability and consistency along with lowest latency for the network as a whole.

Instead of wasting your time (and do note that (possibly) testing with the utility running is giving a false reading for your networks speeds), test each channel one by one, reboot of all related networked equipment in between tests, and choose the one that gives the overall best performance.

As you have seen, inssider is a 'dumb' utility that takes nothing of the rest of your network into consideration. All it can do is give you the responses it has been programmed with.

Select higher channels, 149, 153,etc. There is a reason for this.

If you mean because of higher Tx output on those channels, that hasn't been true for a while now?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!