What's new

inSSIDer result...confused

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samguan

New Around Here
So I replaced my Asus RT-N13U with the RT-N66U, the RT-N66U is a much better and powerful router than the N13U, it's consistently ranked top in wireless performance.

I have the router placed on the second floor and the reason why I upgraded was because my iPhone had really weak signal, I couldn't even browse web pages when I am on the main floor, laptops are fine because I think they have more powerful adapters.

I downloaded inSSIDer and tested both the N13U and N66U from my main floor and both showed similar wifi signal in dbm. However, with the N66U, I could take full potential of my internet speed(did speed test using my iPhone) while I couldn't even browse web page properly with the N13U.

Any opinions? The confusing part is similar signal but with N66U, the speed test show full potential of my internet connection while I couldn't even browse web pages with the N13U and the speed test was really bad.

Another confusing part is shouldn't the N66U have better signal power?

Last edited:
Different receiver-side sensitivity?
Signal strength from the WiFi router is less than half the story, as most client devices transmit less power by far than the WiFi access device.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!