What's new

Installing Merlin on router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jbw123

New Around Here
I download Merlin software for ASUS AX86U pro And extracted the files but.. in the extraction is

A change log file
A README
Sha256sum.sha256

And I think the main file
RT-AX86U nandsquash it’s a PKGTB file am I putting “just that 1 file above” into the router?

The above file is 59mb

Thanks

Yup, I believe so.

You had me for a few minutes, there, as the non-Pro 86U has a .w file instead of a .pkgtb file. But you're right, you only need to upload that one larger .pkgtb file to the router when doing the update.

The Changelog file and the ReadMe are just text files that tell you about the firmware you're about to use, and the .sha256 file is a checksum file you can use to make sure the firmware image hasn't been corrupted if you have been copying it around a lot...but not uaually needed assuming the .zip file unpacked without errors.

Be aware that you will probably then need to do a full factory reset of the router to put all your settings back to their default values, and then go through and set it up again from scratch. Don't be tempted to attempt to reload a saved configuration file from a previous firmware version or non-merlin firmware - that's a sure way to experience all sorts of problems.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your Merlin journey!

Adam

read the changelog might save you a headache like said above wipe and set up menualy do bit use a saved config