What's new

Intel 5300AGN & Linksys WRT610N don't work together

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GemeenAapje

New Around Here
Hi,

Firstly I love the site, it's provided me with great help in the past... especially the throughput tests! :)

I'm now hoping you can help me with an issue I have.

At home I have a Linksys WRT610N (V1). My work have given my a new Dell Latitude E6400 laptop which has an Intel 5300AGN wifi card built in.

Now, for the life of me I cannot get the 2 devices to communicate on Wireless N. A/B/G are all fine, on either 2.4ghz or 5ghz levels. As soon as I enabled "Wireless N Only" it completely fails. If I enable "Mixed" then it just uses Wireless G.

It's driving me absolutely insane! I'm an IT Professional so I know what I'm doing, but no configuration seems to be able to get this running as it should be. All drivers and firmware are updated.

Please can you give me some suggestions?

Current settings... Both 2.4 and 5ghz antenna enabled, both mixed, all options set to Auto or Default. Security set to WPA2.

Many thanks in advanced

Matt

How do you know it's using "Wireless G"?

Make sure WMM is enabled on router and that you're using WPA2/AES. Also try with no Encryption.

You should not have to enable "N" only to get N link rates.

Hahaha... Tim I absolutely LOVE YOU!!!!

If you were a chick, not even hot, I'd ask you out right now lol.

It was WMM that was killing it. Could only get it running to 20mbps.

Now I'm getting 71mbps even using the Intel NIC (note: I was able to use the Linksys USB NIC before with no problem).

You should see the smile on my face right now.

Thanks so much

Tim,

Can you briefly tell me why disabling WMM caused all this trouble? I never even thought of checking any other pages for WIFI problems.

I'm also unsure about these 4 settings...

Beacon Interval: (Default: 100, Milliseconds, Range: 1 - 65535)
DTIM Interval: (Default: 1, Range: 1 - 255)
Fragmentation Threshold: (Default: 2346, Range: 256 - 2346)
RTS Threshold: (Default: 2347, Range: 0 - 2347)

I've seen so many various "recommendations" online from people saying I should change from the default. One common recommendation is...
Beacon: 75
Frag Thresh: 2304
RTS: 2307

I'd rather listen to someone with your knowledge on the matter.

Many thanks once again
Matt

Can you briefly tell me why disabling WMM caused all this trouble? I never even thought of checking any other pages for WIFI problems.
Don't Mess With WMM!

I'm also unsure about these 4 settings...

Beacon Interval: (Default: 100, Milliseconds, Range: 1 - 65535)
DTIM Interval: (Default: 1, Range: 1 - 255)
Fragmentation Threshold: (Default: 2346, Range: 256 - 2346)
RTS Threshold: (Default: 2347, Range: 0 - 2347)

I've seen so many various "recommendations" online from people saying I should change from the default. One common recommendation is...
Beacon: 75
Frag Thresh: 2304
RTS: 2307
Leave 'em all alone (defaults). I honestly don't know why manfs expose these settings. Just like playing with network stack parameters, they're more likely to screw you up than help you.