What's new

Internal wireless AC adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zalophus

Occasional Visitor
Have an HP Pavilion G7 laptop with Intel i5 2450 (dual core), and the following Network adapters: MS Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, Ralink RT5390R 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter, and Realtek PCIe FE Family controller.

I recently added an ASUS AC56R router, and am about to buy an external AC adapter for the HP, to be able to use the AC feature. Before I do so, I have begun to wonder if I could instead replace the Internal Adapter set up with something like one of the Intel PCIe wireless adapters. I have never done anything like that, so advice/warnings/tips appreciated.

Thanks.

Finding an 11ac PCie card for the laptop may be a bit of a challenge.
You may see no significant difference.

Finding an 11ac PCie card for the laptop may be a bit of a challenge.
You may see no significant difference.

Challenge because of the Laptop, it's current wireless hardware configuration, or something else?

Wouldn't something like this work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106190

As to difference, I know that my HTC one is able to use the AC56R-5Ghz, and the connection speed is much, much faster that the 2.5 GHz.

HP is very problematic. They lock down most of their laptops using a BIOS whitelist to the wireless adapter that came from the factory (or at least the ones they have as options for that specific laptop). This means you effectively cannot replace the wireless adapter INTERNALLY with a different one.

I lucked out with my HP Envy 4t, in that it didn't have a whitelist and I was able to replace my Intel 2230 adapter with an Intel 7260AC adapter. You may not be so lucky.

It may be worth a try if you can get one from somewhere with a decent return policy though to try.

Otherwise it is USB wireless adapter only as an option.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!