What's new

Internet speed testing with Netgear routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spocko

Regular Contributor
I'm sure this is old news to many of the folks around here, but I have found that the Netgear Nightawk phone app is useful for testing the speed of my internet connection.

If you have a fast internet connection, then speed tests that are run from wifi-connected devices may not show the full speed of the internet connection because they are limited by the speed of the wifi connection.

The Nighthawk app has a speed test feature that seems to run a test directly on the router, so it is not affected by the speed of the wifi connection. With that test I can see the full 500Mbps speed of my internet connection even if my phone is connected to 2GHz wifi.

For reference, I have a R7800 router, but I would guess that other Netgear routers have the same feature. I'm not aware of a way to run the router-based test using the router's web interface on the R7800, but it would be cool if there was a hidden menu or something.

There is on on QOS which will test using speedtest.net site but it may be slightly different based on the server connectivity.
1723868267130.png

Cool, thanks for pointing that out! That also seems to run the test directly on the router, and gives similar results to the Nighthawk app.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!