What's new

IP problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Margaret

New Around Here
Hello

I am sorry this is in the wrong place I can't find the new thread button. I am having a intermittent IP problem. I recently moved my XP machine to service pack 3 and amongst all the other problems caused this one is now the only remaining that I think should be solvable.
Some days I switch it on and all is well others I have a good strong connection but no IP address. I have tried ipconfig/all which confirms there is nothing there, and refresh and renew but the only way to get online is to restart the machine. I tried a fixed IP address but that is exactly the same. On restart I get the fixed address I set, marvellous!
I use Avast anti virus, Private Firewall and the hub is a BT wireless one I connect to using a USB stick.
Any advice would be welcome, bearing in mind my technical ability does not extend to using your forum correctly. Sorry.

Margaret (The technically challenged)