What's new

iPad game center multiplayer games behind a router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mogulman

Regular Contributor
So, I have 2 iPads. An iPad 2 and a NEW iPad. I was trying to play a few online multiplayer games with both iPads behind my netgear wndr4000 router.

I couldn't get it to work. Tried turning off SPI firewall. Tried some port forwarding. No luck. I gave up.

Then I went to a friends house and tried it with a cheap SMC router and it was working. I was amazed.

I created a support ticket with Netgear without much luck. Also posted on apple and netgear forums. No luck.

I then tried a Dlink dir-655. Also no luck.

Finally today I purchased a Linksys EA3500. Woohoo. It works.

Anyone know why it would work with Linksys but not Netgear or Dlink?

It likely depends on the game, but it might be related to WAN ping block. Netgear and Dlink enforce it by default, Linksys and SMC may not.

I like how the Dlink can selectively respond to ping from specific IP addresses(safer), not just an on(respond to all pings - not safe) or off(block all pings - safe) switch.

Last edited:
I tried turning on SPI firewall on the linksys, which blocks wan ping. Ipad game center still works.

Try enabling WAN ping on the Netgear?

*Filter Anonymous Internet Requests* setting actually does the block ping not SPI

If not WAN ping, it could be that UPnP was disabled, it's on by default for all routers specified, so I figured it had to be something else. Siri doesn't like to function with WAN ping blocked, so thought it was likely the cause as well.

Last edited:
I couldn't get the WNDR4000 working. I'm going to keep the Linksys and sell the WNDR4000 on ebay.

Wish I didn't have to lose money by changing out, since technically, these routers are pretty similar.

I do noticed that the EA3500 is able to keep a 300Mbps connection, where the WNDR4000 would only do 144Mbps. Might have been a compatibility thing with my laptop, or just that the EA3500 is more tolerant (less nice) of other signals nearby.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!