What's new

iPhone keeps disconnecting from WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ali232

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I have 3x RT-AX86U AiMesh with latest Merlin on them (3004.388.8_2).
My problem is that my iPhone 15 Pro sometimes disconnects, says no connection then after few seconds it comes back.
Browsing on the phone seems a bit slow and I see it only uses 2.4GHz band.

Log (lot of "Disassociated because sending station is leaving"):

I'm using stock wireless settings:

Thanks for your help.

Set fixed Ch.1 on 2.4GHz band at 20MHz channel bandwidth, fixed Ch.36 on 5GHz band at 80MHz channel bandwidth. This will disable Auto channel/bandwidth change and stop the disconnections.

Hello,
I have 3x RT-AX86U AiMesh with latest Merlin on them (3004.388.8_2).
My problem is that my iPhone 15 Pro sometimes disconnects, says no connection then after few seconds it comes back.
Browsing on the phone seems a bit slow and I see it only uses 2.4GHz band.

Log (lot of "Disassociated because sending station is leaving"):

I'm using stock wireless settings:

Thanks for your help.
Without the timestamps included in your log file it's fairly meaningless. However, on the face of it it looks like it's behaving as intended. Your iPhone initially connects to the 5GHz band but its signal strength is below the threshold set by the Smart Connect rules, so it gets bounced to the 2.4GHz band.

Last edited:
Also, disable Private WIFI address on your iPhone for your home network. With Private WIFI address enabled the phone may change its MAC address every 24 hours. While this may not be answer to your current problem, it can't hurt.

We've had two iPhones do this where the iPhone disconnects whenever the screen is turned off (every time) even when it is within close range of the router. In both cases it came after an iOS update.

I was able to eliminate the issue with a simple Reset Network Settings on one phone, and on another phone by forgetting both networks (2.4 and 5 Ghz) and rejoining.

All 3 are solid recommendations. Also make sure airtime fairness is disabled (both bands) in the professional tab.

Also, are you sure you need 3 mesh nodes? These are not prosumer devices - they do not hold on to the link and handoff in the background. When AI mesh moves you, your device drops the PHY link and reestablish. Placement of Mesh nodes needs to be somewhat scientific to prevent unnecessary roaming.

Some may say don't use Smart Connect but YMMV. I use it, successfully for year, but not everyone can (or wants to). If you have a cheap IoT device, or something very old it may just be very stubborn no matter how many times the device tries to 'steer' it. Other than that, maintaining 2 SSIDs vs. Smart Connect is mostly a personal preference.

Also, there's no such thing as universal good settings in the Smart Connect rules, they have to be tuned to your environment. Specifically knowing the signal levels of those close to the thresholds, making decisions on what the right threshold is for stationary devices vs. those you move around.

YMMV, Good luck.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!