What's new

IPV6 and PPPoE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lhurt5

New Around Here
I have a RT-AX88U with Merlin 3004.388.7 connecting to centurylink dsl connecting with PPPoE. I would like to be using IPV6 but according to ASUS FAQ,

"1. Does ASUS wireless router support setting up PPPoE in IPv6?
Currently, ASUS Wireless router does not support setting up PPPoE in IPV6."

Is there anyway around this or has Merlin firmware made this possible?

Do they only use IPv6, or do they also assign an IPv4? Because Asuswrt can assign an IPv6 to a PPPoE session in addition to an IPv4. My FTTH connection uses PPPoE and gives me a public IPv4, a dynamic IPv6 /64, and a static /56 through PD.

I have a RT-AX88U with Merlin 3004.388.7 connecting to centurylink dsl connecting with PPPoE. I would like to be using IPV6 but according to ASUS FAQ,

Depending upon your area and service, CenturyLink only provides IPV6 via 6RD which is IPV6 over an IPV4 tunnel. Purchasing a static address will also get you an IPV6 address. You really do not need IPV6, though.

Is IPv6 actually over PPPoE? I'm with a different ISP and IPv4 is PPPoe, setting "Native" in IPv6 settings brings it in.

Do they only use IPv6, or do they also assign an IPv4? Because Asuswrt can assign an IPv6 to a PPPoE session in addition to an IPv4. My FTTH connection uses PPPoE and gives me a public IPv4, a dynamic IPv6 /64, and a static /56 through PD.

I should have mentioned that I use their modem as a transparent bridge. They assign IPv4 address.

Depending upon your area and service, CenturyLink only provides IPV6 via 6RD which is IPV6 over an IPV4 tunnel. Purchasing a static address will also get you an IPV6 address. You really do not need IPV6, though.
IPv6 would be a luxury not a necessity. There is a a connection type Tunnel 6in4 but I have not tried it.

Is IPv6 actually over PPPoE? I'm with a different ISP and IPv4 is PPPoe, setting "Native" in IPv6 settings brings it in.
Both. In my case, the PPPoE session will get the link-layer IPs used for routing IPv6 traffic, and the odhcp client will obtain the delegated prefix. The IPv6 traffic will still go through the PPPoE connection.

IPv6 would be a luxury not a necessity. There is a a connection type Tunnel 6in4 but I have not tried it.
You need to use whatever is supported by your ISP. 6in4 isn't used by ISPs, it's used for a tunnel through a service like TunnelBroker from Hurricane Electric.

Your router also has 6RD and Centurylink has instructions how to set it up. Google Centurylink ipv6 and you will find setup instructions for their modem. Do not make those settings on the modem, as it is in bridge mode, but in the IPV6 area of the router. I was on Centurylink DSL for many years and used their modem in bridge mode. Also have run IPV6 over 6RD successfully. Centurylink sold the services in our state to Bright speed but nothing changed really. We still use Centurylink email servers. Am now on FIOS but my router settings are the same.