What's new

Solved IPV6 not offered to Guest WLANs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paulbates

Regular Contributor
My guest WLANs, 2.4 and 5gz, are not offering IPV6 to clients. Browsing to IPV6 test sites on the clients indicates that there is no IPV6 net.

These same clients, as well as other clients on the regular 2.4 and 5 non-Guest WLANs get IPV6 configuration and assign themselves one or more IPV6 addresses under the ISP delegated prefix as expected.

I'm continuing to use the same vanilla comcast configuration in the IPV6 section I've used for 6+ years, "Native" and that hasn't changed. Everything looks as expected there. There's no VPN involved.

I wondering if anyone else is noticing this behavior? I was moving some clients that can support IPV6 to a guest network and noticed it, or rather didn't notice it, no addresses for them on the IPV6 log tab and none on the clients.

I'm on 386.4... and powered off / on as a debug step. I also manually reloaded, reset, and clicked/typed all router config info manually after going to 386.4 last month.. Again I can't say this behavior is specific to 386.4, I don't know.

I'm bumping this an additional time; has anyone else noticed that internet IPV6 addresses are not being assigned to the guest WLAN clients?
Even though those same clients do actively assign addresses and connect to the internet via IPV6 on the main WLAN?

The guest WLAN clients do get a link local fe80:::: address. I'm not the sharpest at routing tables, but I noticed that br1 & br2 have entries for link local IPV6 but do not have entries for the delegated prefix (?)

I'm on 385.5_2, use xfinity /64 delegated prefix that does function as expected on the main WLAN.

My guest WLANs, 2.4 and 5gz, are not offering IPV6 to clients. Browsing to IPV6 test sites on the clients indicates that there is no IPV6 net.

These same clients, as well as other clients on the regular 2.4 and 5 non-Guest WLANs get IPV6 configuration and assign themselves one or more IPV6 addresses under the ISP delegated prefix as expected.

I'm continuing to use the same vanilla comcast configuration in the IPV6 section I've used for 6+ years, "Native" and that hasn't changed. Everything looks as expected there. There's no VPN involved.

I wondering if anyone else is noticing this behavior? I was moving some clients that can support IPV6 to a guest network and noticed it, or rather didn't notice it, no addresses for them on the IPV6 log tab and none on the clients.

I'm on 386.4... and powered off / on as a debug step. I also manually reloaded, reset, and clicked/typed all router config info manually after going to 386.4 last month.. Again I can't say this behavior is specific to 386.4, I don't know.
I have AX88U (386.5_2) with mesh Guest Network clients and it ok for me.

Thanks Don
Can I ask how you get ipv6 addressing, is it native with dhcp-pd?
Hi, I have ony ever used IPv6 as Native. I moved house in January and as such also moved ISP's. My previous ISP did not offer IPv6 however my new ISP does. All I did was enable IPv6 in Native mode.

I did a test and verified this as well. Initially I thought it could be a GN1 nuance since it's 'special' because it's replicated to all nodes. However, I did move a client from the main SSID, which has an IPv6 address, to both my replicated GN1 network and then to my GN2 network and it did NOT get an IPv6 address.

I can't say I recall this ever seeing a guest with an IPv6 address but I wanted to add my observations here.

Native IPv6 with PD enabled

1648721637691.png

I did a test and verified this as well. Initially I thought it could be a GN1 nuance since it's 'special' because it's replicated to all nodes. However, I did move a client from the main SSID, which has an IPv6 address, to both my replicated GN1 network and then to my GN2 network and it did NOT get an IPv6 address.

I can't say I recall this ever seeing a guest with an IPv6 address but I wanted to add my observations here.

Native IPv6 with PD enabled

View attachment 40500
Thank you for confirming. My IPV6 configuration is the same. While PD is enabled, but it looks like the router advertisement isn't reaching the guest WLANs(?), they all have link local addresses.

There's only 2 other IPV6 related options on the web interface are IPV6 firewall and drop IPV6 neighbor solicitations. I've had both set on as long as they've been there... I turned them off to see what would happen -complete shot in the dark- it changed nothing

Last edited:
@CaptnDanLKW
There is an answer to this, which its a known issue. Internet IPV6 addresses aren't provided on GN1. Member @JWoo provides the details at this link. I did look at the forums multiple times since discovering it, this thread showed up today as a suggestion.

As it discusses, I moved my 2.4 and 5 GN1s to GN2, forgot/logged back clients in, and IPV6 addressing worked immediately and tested on clients as expected.

Last edited:
@paulbates
Interesting. As I started to respond to suggest it might be a GN1 thing, I decided to test my assumption. When I 'forgot' one of my Windows 10 clients and joined it to my SSDI on GN2, it did NOT get an IPv6 address.... when I 'forgot' the GN SSID and rejoined my main SSID, it once again obtained one.

Thats why my initial post said it was not working on either, though it was a 2-minute test, so maybe I didn't wait long enough. Good to know it actually works.

Also, thanks for posting the link to that thread.