What's new

IPv6, wrangling Merlin's DHCPv6 Client to request IA-PD /60.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PapaBear

New Around Here
Finally decided to sign up and talk after using Merlin for my AC3200 for the last 6 months. (side-note: the latest alpha is working perfectly for me without a problem or hiccup.)

Here's my conundrum: I'm setting up IPv6 in my home net, and I've looked at many different scenarios of implementation. The easiest route seems to be to leverage Merlin's dnsmasq setup to do everything I want to with the network. I understand the configuration add / overwrite setup for dnsmasq on Merlin, but what I'm having issues with is the DHCPv6 Client that's in use.

I need to leverage that configuration to specifically request an IA-PD /60 so that my ISP will assign me a /60 block for use within my internal net as they only hand out /64 unless the client requests a /60 for internal subnetting. I've looked here, and even went grovelling to the almighty Google, to no avail that my meager brain could comprehend. So I'm asking here:

How do I setup Merlin's DHCPv6 Client to request an IA-PD /60 from my ISP when it boots?

On my Pi3 setup, the following is working with wide-dhcpv6-client when the pi is plugged directly into my modem:
Code:
interface eth0 {
    send rapid-commit;
    send ia-na 0;
    send ia-pd 0;
};

id-assoc pd 0 {
    prefix ::/60 infinity; #request /60 from ISP

prefix-interface eth0 {
        sla-len 4;
        sla-id 0; #subnet 1
    };

prefix-interface eth0 {
        sla-len 4;
        sla-id 1; #subnet 2
    };

prefix-interface eth0 {
        sla-len 4;
        sla-id 2; #subnet 3
    };
};

id-assoc na 0 {
};
But I don't see where / how to do something like this with Merlin's DHCPv6 client.

Thank you for any assistance that can be given on this.

-PapaBear

Last edited:
I've continued to try to wrangle the beast into submission, but am continually confused and have to returned bruised and beaten. Can any assistance be rendered?