What's new

Is AiProtection a firmware or hardware feature?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mingky

New Around Here
I ask because I recently changed from an N66U to an AC56U and was pleasantly surprised to find the 'new' AiProtection feature. This got me wondering as to why older models like the N56U and N66U did not receive this feature even with the latest firmware versions.

Having suspected that the CPU on the older models might not have been sufficient in terms of performance to satisfactorily rum the AiProtection engine, I looked up the the hardware specifications of models which did and noticed that they all had dual-core CPUs in them, namely the AC56U and up. One particular outlier is the AC66U, which has the same single-core CPU as the N66U, and correct me if I'm wrong the former does not have AiProtection as well.

With all that said, I'm guessing AiProtection is a feature which depends on the underlying CPU used? Can anyone kindly confirm this?

Thanks.

You are correct on your assumptions above.

The router's processor needs to be at a minimum level of performance to enable those extra features. So, while a minimum level of hardware is needed for AI Protection; it is purely a software/firmware feature that only certain (powerful enough) Asus routers have the option to run.

The RT-AC66U was great when it first came out (first generation AC1750 class) as it offered superior range and throughput. It was quickly overshadowed by the dual core processor driver routers that soon followed though. Also, in my experience, a lot of those early AC models failed for many of my customers, many upgraded to RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U's or higher and haven't looked back since.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt...mware-fibre-and-ipv6-a-beautiful-combo.33007/

The link above may be interesting to you as well.

With all that said, I'm guessing AiProtection is a feature which depends on the underlying CPU used? Can anyone kindly confirm this?
correct , but do not assume or believe it should be or could be your main line of defence , you still need antivirus on comps and firewalls etc esp if surfing the wild web and torrenting software etc

imho ai protection is a second level of defence not the primary and only level of defence

Last edited: