What's new

Is firmware reinstallation in recovery mode deeper than on the web interface?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lenovomen

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have an Asus tuf3000v2 router. I would like to ask if I turn off the router, reset it to factory settings and then while holding down the WPS button and turning it on, is the firmware installation in 192.168.1.1 web recovery mode deeper than if it is done on 192.168.50.1?

In this case, will the full firmware be reinstalled? Isn't it just updating parts of it?

A factory reset of either type does not reinstall the firmware. It just resets the user settings (e.g. user name, password, etc.) to their default values.

A factory reset of either type does not reinstall the firmware. It just resets the user settings (e.g. user name, password, etc.) to their default values.
I can report my router is recovered. Here is what I did,, which I do not know if it is repeatable.

1. Connect Ethernet to Port 1 of the router, Set a fixed IP address at your computer as DHCP does not function in recovery mode.
  2. Hold down WPS button for 15 seconds and turn on power to do a hard reset.
  3. After hard reset, hold down reset button for 15 seconds and power on to put router in recovery mode.
  4. Use browser and access the recovery console at 192.168.1.1 or whatever IP address you are using at your computer. Upload image from the recovery console. This may take a while.
I used the OEM image TUF-AX3000_V2_3.0.0.4_388_23785-g6bb7c92_nand_squashfs.pkgtb

IMG_0108.png

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

You seem to be talking about two different things. 1) installing the firmware, and 2) doing a factory reset using the WPS button (or webUI).
In recovery mode (192.168.1.1), is the full firmware reinstalled or does it do a regular upgrade without removing all files? It just update some file instead of full reinstall?

In recovery mode (192.168.1.1), is the full firmware reinstalled or does it do a regular upgrade without removing all files? It just update some file instead of full reinstall?
Your use of the phrase "full firmware" is confusing. There is no full firmware. There are two separate parts 1) the firmware, and 2) user settings (aka nvram).

Installing the firmware using recovery mode is exactly the same as installing it through the normal webUI. If you also want to reset the user settings to their default values you can do that after you have installed the firmware by using the WPS button or the webUI (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting > Factory default - tick "Initialize all the settings...").

Your use of the phrase "full firmware" is confusing. There is no full firmware. There are two separate parts 1) the firmware, and 2) user settings (aka nvram).

Installing the firmware using recovery mode is exactly the same as installing it through the normal webUI. If you also want to reset the user settings to their default values you can do that after you have installed the firmware by using the WPS button or the webUI (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting > Factory default - tick "Initialize all the settings...").
Yes, the firmware installation through the Asus recovery interface is generally more thorough than performing it via the standard web-based admin interface. In recovery mode, the router operates on a minimal system, allowing for a deeper level of installation that is more likely to remove existing issues, including malware.

When you update firmware through the admin interface, it typically overwrites the existing system while preserving settings, logs, and other files. In contrast, installing firmware in recovery mode essentially performs a clean installation, which likely removes old system elements, such as viruses or malicious software.

So, if you suspect your router might be infected with malware or facing other security problems, performing the firmware installation in recovery mode is a safer and more effective solution.

I copied and pasted a text. This is what I meant. Is it really true?

I copied and pasted a text. This is what I meant. Is it really true?
What I said is correct.

In contrast, installing firmware in recovery mode essentially performs a clean installation, which likely removes old system elements, such as viruses or malicious software.
This is incorrect. Just installing the firmware in recovery mode does not perform a clean installation (if by that you mean it also wipes the user settings). The only reason your user settings were reset in post #3 was because you also did a WPS reset.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

You seem to be talking about two different things. 1) installing the firmware, and 2) doing a factory reset using the WPS button (or webUI).
I apologize for not giving you the right information, I did not do WPS reset. How to do the WPS reset? I used a paper clip to press the button in the small hole. Or are they both the same?

I apologize for not giving you the right information, I did not do WPS reset.

I give up. Please read the Asus FAQs for more information.

To answer your question "Is firmware reinstallation in recovery mode deeper than on the web interface?", the answer is No.

Okay, but help me with this. Does the small hole and the WPS reset do the same thing?

Okay, but help me with this. Does the small hole and the WPS reset do the same thing?
From the link already provided...
Note: WPS reset and UI initialize are the hard reset that will reset to factory default and also clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History. For more hard reset details could refer to ASUS router Hard Factory Reset
And from that same link...
Method 2: Reset the router through the RESET button on your router.

Notice: This method usually applies to the situation that you couldn’t enter the WEB GUI successfully, ex: Forgot the username and the password of the router, FW updated failure, or couldn’t reset the router via method 1.

So this makes me wonder what do to if the router firmware does become infected with malware. Since every type of router reset only resets the user settings, how can the router be recovered from malware? Would any firmware update overwrite all the binaries and erase any user storage that might have malware?

Yes, the firmware installation through the Asus recovery interface is generally more thorough than performing it via the standard web-based admin interface. In recovery mode, the router operates on a minimal system, allowing for a deeper level of installation that is more likely to remove existing issues, including malware.
That is incorrect.

The firmware is written as a partition image, not as a series of files getting copied. Any method of flashing the firmware will do exactly the same thing: overwrite the partition with the content of the uploaded firmware.

So this makes me wonder what do to if the router firmware does become infected with malware. Since every type of router reset only resets the user settings, how can the router be recovered from malware? Would any firmware update overwrite all the binaries and erase any user storage that might have malware?
If it's in the firmware (highly unlikely as this is a read-only partition), then you reupload the firmware.

If it's in the /jffs or nvram location, then you do a full factory default reset.

Both recovery mode and using the web interface will flash the same flash area, so one is not deeper than the other.

However, it is strongly not recommended to use recovery mode, because it does not perform the various checks that the web interface contains, which will ensure that you do not flash the wrong firmware and thus brick the router.

In recovery mode it is possible to flash any file, including a catvideo.mp4, so you will end up with a bricked router with a cat video flashed into it.