What's new

Is it possible? External access to DIR-655 USB storage.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

little_scrapper

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to figure out if I can allow someone to access my USB drive externally through the internet.

I want to trade a few large files and do not know if it is even possible on my DIR-655.

Anyone know how right off hand. In the mean time I will be googling.

Thanks

You should see a set of links in the usb section of your router.

For example on my netgear... i go to usb/settings

then there are several already created links that you can simply enable

internally use http://192.168.1.1/shares

public use http://public ip/shares

You simply click the enable button..and voila..

You should have that on the dlink as well..if not you can setup a port forward i'm sure very easily.

if you are still having issues later on..

I actually still have my dir-655 in the closet (not using it anymore) I can fire it up

Just send me a pm or something and I can figure it out..then give you a runbook :)

bah..silly dlink..they want you to use their software dlink network utility to access it :( ..probably does a scan of the local network and looks for the usb drive.

If you need to do this on a regular basis.. and don't have a ftp server easily available..

i purchased a pogoplug (www.pogoplug.com)..might be something you want/need.

I already have the shareport going. I want to know if i can allow someone to access my usb storage through the internet?

unfortunately i can't get it to work. Without using the software i dont think there is any other way to access it..which means you can't share it over the internet.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!