What's new

Is it possible to get 100 Mbps throughput with wireless?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quickk

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I'm trying out a 100(down)/5(up) Mbps internet connection, and am finding that I can't get more than 25 down on the 5 GHz range and 12 down on the 2.4 GHz range of my router (dlink dap-825).

From what I've read on the smallnetbuilder site, it won't be possible for me to do much better than this, considering that my router is two floors down. I just want see if this is indeed the case. Suppose I get a faster wireless router, can I expect to get close to 100 Mbps?

I also find it strange that the 5 GHz range is faster. I thought that it would be slower since the signal is weaker. I've tried playing with the settings, selected n-mode only, and have the encryption set to WPA2, but nothing seems to change the throughput.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes.
With 11n, very close range, channel pair bonding also referred to as 40MHz mode (rather than the normal 20MHz) mode, you may get over 100Mbps net IP layer throughput. WiFi devices on client and WiFi router or AP must support such.

Useful inter-PC on your LAN, but few/no Internet hosts will deliver that.

I suspect that the 2.4 GHz band is defaulting to 20 MHz bandwidth mode. You can try setting it to Auto 20/40.

In my experience, 100 Mbps is very difficult to get and certainly there is no chance of it once you move beyond the same room for AP and client.

Thank you for the replies. I tried setting the mode to 20/40 auto, but this did not seem to make any difference. The 2.4 GHz range always maxes out around 12 Mbps, and the 5GHz around 25 Mbps.

From what I've read on the site, the 20/40 auto mode might not help if the router is far from the client, as it is in my case (router is in my basement, desktop on the second floor).

After racking my brain for a couple of weeks, I've finally figured out how to bring a cable from the router directly to the desktop without drilling into my walls, and now I'm wired in and have given up on the wireless solution for now. With a direct ethernet connection to the router, speeds are much better (80 Mbps - 100 Mbps). I remember when I was excited about downloading at 1.4 kilobytes/second with my old 14.4 modem. Now I've tested some torrents at 10+ megabytes/second! It blows my mind!!