What's new

Is it possible to use 5Ghz-2 on the XT8 when using it as an AiMesh node with a dual band main router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sorachan

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I'm using the AX86U dual-band router as the main mesh router and the older XT8 tri-band as a mesh node.

As you may already know, the XT8's 5GHz-1 band does not support 160MHz. In my setup, I selected Ethernet Backhaul Mode so in theory both 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2 should be available to use.

However, it appears 5Ghz-2 does not work no matter what I do. If I disable 5Ghz-1, the client is forced to use main mesh router 5Ghz connection, not 5Ghz-2. If I enable Smart Connect, the client never connects 5Ghz-2 too. If I reboot the node while 5Ghz-1 is off, 5Ghz-2 would also turn off after the the reboot.

Does anyone know how this works? Thanks

Last edited:
Although I'm not currently using AiMesh this doesn't surprise me. As far as I can tell the AiMesh "bands", channels and bandwidths work on a lowest common denominator basis. So if for example one of the nodes only supports up to 80MHz bandwidth that's the maximum for all APs in the mesh. In your case the AX86U only has one 5GHz radio ("band") so that will be in sync with the first 5GHz radio on the XT8. The AX86U doesn't have a second 5GHz radio so it's incapable of syncing with the XT8's 5GHz-2 radio, so it's just disabled. The way AiMesh is coded I don't think it's versatile enough to swap the function of the radios around on the XT8.

Ironically, you might be better off using wireless backhaul between the two devices using the XT8's 5GHz-2. At least in theory (but I've never tried this myself) that would allow the AX86U to operate at 160MHz bandwidth.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!