What's new

Is it possible to use nord dns with unbound or any way to add it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I understand your question correctly - yes, possible. You have to use Unbound as forwarder to upstream DNS server. Doesn't make much sense to run Unbound in this case because the built-in Dnsmasq is a forwarder and already available. Most folks install Unbound to use it as resolver, I guess. How to do it? - if not available as an option in Unbound Manager you have to edit the configuration file manually.

Can you share what's the idea? If your Unbound is configured properly and runs as a resolver you have to see your external IP as only DNS. Or you perhaps have selected DoT in Unbound Manager and this is why Unbound works as forwarder already. Why you want to send your browsing history to NordVPN?

OP first needs to explain *why* he's using Unbound in the first place. As a resolver or forwarder? You usually use the former for privacy reasons, so you only access root DNS servers, thus bypassing the likes of Google, Cloudflare, or even NordVPN. OTOH, if it's for the latter, then as already stated, you're not really adding all that much value beyond the router's DNS server (DNSMasq), at least in terms of name resolution (I assume Unbound offers other features as a forwarder to prefer its use over DNSMasq).

Last edited:
I get this on dns info

A:Option ==> dnsinfo

Click https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=dns:quad9.net&run=toolpage to view Quad9 DNS Server info
Click https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=dns:cloudflare.net&run=toolpage to view Cloudflare DNS Server info
I think you are confused as to the intended use of the dnsinfo comand in wgm 'advanced' mode.

The dnsinfo command default output simply shows two real-time examples of how you can use the MX Supertool website to query well-known public entities.

i.e. See the Supertool dns option description below

1721761827667.png

e.g. You are expected to supply an argument to the wgm dnsinfo command to explicitly check a desired entity
Code:
A:Option ==> dnsinfo ibm.net

with the resulting output either being informational (or not) depending on your skill level of interpreting the technical info displayed.

The two resulting example URL's are simply the equivalent of using the following commands

Code:
A:Option ==> dnsinfo quad9.net
Code:
A:Option ==> dnsinfo cloudflare.net

I get this on dns info

What do you get here:

If you see your own WAN IP address only identified as your ISP - Unbound is working correctly as resolver and no changes are needed. If for whatever reason you want to forward your DNS queries upstream to NordVPN DNS servers - uninstall Unbound and use the built-in Dnsmasq. Just enter NordVPN DNS servers in WebGUI WAN settings.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!