What's new

Is N66U still a good choice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yunolikeyahoo

New Around Here
Hi,
I need your advice. I'm looking to buy a new router. I wonder if an old Asus N66U would work fine and fit my needs or should I buy AC56U or AC68U or maybe another brand router?
Planned wireless connections: PS4, 2 laptops, Tablet, Phone, TV. I would also like to connect external HD to the router (for downloading movies and watching them on TV).
My internet connection speed is up to 100 mpbs, so I guess there is no need for AC? However N66U is 2011 model so wouldn't it be too slow?

the n66u could do the job, but you'd be a lot happier with an ac68 or newer with that internet bandwidth

N66U is at an interesting price point - and it will go down as retailers blow out inventory for the newer/buggier stuff...

Equipped with a dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) wireless technology, data transmission rates of up to 450M and accessible coverage of 400 square meters will not affect the ASUS RT-N66U 802.11n wireless router to become the flagship product, Similar to HUAWEI E5186 router which I am using.

N66U is at an interesting price point - and it will go down as retailers blow out inventory for the newer/buggier stuff...

Retailers/manufacturers have done a splendid job for 15 years or more of ramping up the prices for WiFi routers and convincing lay persons that if they don't upgrade, there will be bad consequences. I personally have no need for 30+ or hundreds of Mbps net IP layer on WiFi. For that, you gotta be wired. So 11n is it is, here, for the handhelds in the house.

So glad someone has said this at last!.

I don't have lots of Ipads and phones downloading multiple HD media streams.

I prefer to use a 'proper' PC on a gigabit lan.:D

For the few phones and tablets I have 11n is good enough.:D

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!