What's new

Is policy based VPN client possible with stock firmware ASUS RT-AC5300?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jazzinc

New Around Here
I am stoked to get my RT-AC5300 tomorrow. I've been studying and reading up all day today and yesterday. Previously, I used a netgear R7000 with DDWRT but I like the stock firmware features for the ASUS with time capsule support and smart connect.

So, to be able to get the latest firmware, can I set up the VPN on the ASUS to a policy based client tunnel to the US for my TV IP address only, or do I need merlin's December firmware build for that? I can't find anything in the manual.

I'm really trying to do the work, but all help is appreciated.

Not possible on stock.

Not possible on stock.
You so much for your time and all your work. The merlin from where is easily the best alternative for me, because I get to stay close to the original firmware and all its features.

Might I bother you with one more question? Would there be any benefit to try the Alpha firmware versus the latest stable build? The most important features for me will be policy based VPN client and time machine on 3tb USB 3.0 drive.

Might I bother you with one more question? Would there be any benefit to try the Alpha firmware versus the latest stable build? The most important features for me will be policy based VPN client and time machine on 3tb USB 3.0 drive.

I would recommend running the alpha build due to its improvement in managing the nameservers while using policy-based routing.

I would recommend running the alpha build due to its improvement in managing the nameservers while using policy-based routing.

I don't mean to abuse your Canadian patience and good manners, but I don't understand what that means. Could you tell me what that means?

By the way, I am exctatic with your firmware on my 5300AC. It was so simple to set up and configure compared to the classic R7000 with dd wrt and I still have full use of all the cool features such as time capsule functionality, mobile app and the parental controls of the Asus which wouldn't be possible with the DD wrt firmware. I do feel like I'm having my cake and eating it too!

I don't mean to abuse your Canadian patience and good manners, but I don't understand what that means. Could you tell me what that means?

It's quite technical. The short version is: it will work better for people who use policy-based routing.

The longer version: VPN clients will use the DNS pushed to you by the OpenVPN server, while WAN clients will remain with the DNS provided by your ISP (or manually configured by you, if you changed them). This is required as some VPN providers will reject DNS requests sent to a different DNS (to prevent DNS-related leakage of information), and some VPN providers pushes a DNS server that isn't accepting resolution requests outside of the VPN tunnel. The changes are summarized in these two commits:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/72bf4a2b341be0bebb5bce61c0660c7ef7e106f7
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/3a0739824502154a06c5bf81df3073245b8bfbe4

Just some feedback. Uploaded the latest 380.58 alpha build to my 5300 today and the first impressions these past 4 hours are very positive. Better VPN and seemingly better and more stable wifi after testing several places. Faster too, but that might also be because of the small changes I made in the Smart Connect rules. Very happy.

It's quite technical. The short version is: it will work better for people who use policy-based routing.

The longer version: VPN clients will use the DNS pushed to you by the OpenVPN server, while WAN clients will remain with the DNS provided by your ISP (or manually configured by you, if you changed them). This is required as some VPN providers will reject DNS requests sent to a different DNS (to prevent DNS-related leakage of information), and some VPN providers pushes a DNS server that isn't accepting resolution requests outside of the VPN tunnel. The changes are summarized in these two commits:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/72bf4a2b341be0bebb5bce61c0660c7ef7e106f7
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/3a0739824502154a06c5bf81df3073245b8bfbe4