What's new

Is RT-AX86U Pro meshed w/ RT-AX3000 (satellite) still a good option?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SR-71

Occasional Visitor
Asking as I just saw the AX86U Pro on sale nearby for $180. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Have been using the AX3000 v1 centrally positioned in basement since 2020 and it's been mostly good but need better range and speed in outer rooms.

Relevant details:
  • Will not be able to hardwire the backhaul between them, only 1 5GHz band on each
  • ISP speeds 800/20 (actual: 800-920 DL / 24 UL due to ISP overprovisioning)
  • Long single story house with finished basement; modem & router in the basement (can't move it due to running cable to office there to get full speed)
  • Main objective is to improve signal & bandwidth to rooms at edges of home; faster WiFi file transfers with security features enabled would be a solid nice-to-have.
  • 15-20 devices total, probably only 4-6 in active use over WiFi at any one time, rest idle/just background packets until needed.
My current thinking is between these options:

1. Go Small: Get the AX86U Pro on sale and try meshing it with the AX3000. Will only cost $180 to try and I can return it if it doesn't improve things.
  • Since the Pro came out later, what's the likely/guessable life for supported fw updates?
  • Small footprint is perfect since the current area for the AX3000 is likewise fairly small.
  • Upgrade on both bands from the AX3000: AX86U Pro is 2.4GHz 3x3, 5GHz 4x4; although the 4th antenna is internal.
  • How is the CPU processing speed compared to the AX3000 (thinking about file transfers)?
  • Con: What's the likely impact of meshing the AX3000 on the sole 5GHz band, if the AX86U can't cover the entire house well enough by itself?
2. Go Big: Been eyeing the GT-AXE16000 due to dual 5GHz bands for the mesh backhaul - while the many pros are obvious (better CPU, all 4x4, better/more antennas, fw longevity, etc.), there are some cons:
  • The new 6GHz band won't help at all right now (only 1 tablet with AX6E upstairs and having 6E in the basement is likely only short-range from what I've read) - so even future devices likely won't benefit.
  • Large size is problematic for where it needs to go, prefer smaller, would need to get a new table or shelf for it.
  • Cost currently $529, bit pricey.
  • Unknown but possible the AXE16000 would be able to cover the entire house without meshing (not a con, just mentioning it)
Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

I currently are doing option 1 with good results. The ax3000 replaced a powerline ap. Aimesh is working well with the 5GHz backhaul. It connects with 4x streams @160MHz. Only issue I had with AiMesh was my Amazon music mesh wasn't reliable. I had to tie all speakers to the main AX86 Pro router.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!