What's new

Is the Netgear R7000 right for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stigs007

Occasional Visitor
Looking to buy a new router and ready to make the jump into AC. Based on this site's 2015 buying guide, and my own research, AC1900 seems to be what I need. While the price of the R7000 is a little higher than I'd like, I want to make sure I get a router that works for me. Definitely need good range as I currently have a 3 story townhouse. Also need something that can handle VPN well as I want to be able to access to my eSXI box remotely. The only other major requirements are solid HD streaming and I'd possibly incorporate a NAS in the future.

Like I said, I'm leaning towards the R7000, but are there other options that I should also consider?

The R-7000 is a good router from a hardware stand point but the stock firmware is a little lacking and Netgear is very slow at new firmware releases they have not updated it since June. The R-7000 also has a IPv6 issue where the firmware filters all ICMP/V6 packets this is not how IPv6 was intended to work its a simple fix but Netgear has yet to bother with it. Other then that its a good router very good range although a 3 story house may be an issue but who knows. Just my 2 cents of when i owned my R-7000.

Can't complain about my R7000 with XVortex FW. It's been stable as rock, no wifi disconnects either. Netgear make decent HW, but lack a lot on the FW side. I suggest if you go for the R7000 to consider installing XVortex on it. It will spare you headaches, at least it did for me.

Yes, I agree that the R7000 is a great piece of hardware, that when matched with the right firmware can really shine. I've found XVortex, Shibby's tomato ARM, and DD-WRT firmware all do very well on the R7000. Each one of these is fairly easy to try, but the stock firmware is not good enough for me. I'm currently using the R7000 with XVortex, and it is doing great. Highly recommended.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!