What's new

Is the R7000 still worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

Is it still worth getting ? currently have an R6250. I think I can get one retail for around $130 brand new.

Wireless side of things is not to important. More of heavy usage and reliability with tomato most likely will be more important but as long as the wireless is stable with tomato. My current R6250 wifi is very unstable with tomato

Last edited:
I've had the R7000 for over 2 years now, and it is still working well, and easily takes care of my throughput and wireless needs with bandwidth to spare. Works well with tomato ARM, XVortex, and dd-wrt. I've had all of these on this R7000 for extended periods and all have been stable and provide great performance. I do like playing with new releases of firmware, so I tend to try them out (as you can tell from the variety of firmware that I've used). But I have no problem recommending the R7000. Lots of mature firmware choices, lots of bandwidth, and great wireless coverage for my house.

Also, I've pretty much abandoned 2.4GHz. There are about 20 visible neighboring wireless networks on 2.4GHz., it's not a good situation for media streaming. I've gone to 5GHz. almost completely, just a couple of throwback devices that don't support 5GHz. The R7000 is great for this, 5GHz. is fine throughout the house. There are a couple other 5GHz. wireless networks that I see...the only strong one is my next door neighbor, who has staked out channel 149. Which is not a problem for me, I usually use channel 157 or 161, depending on what 5GHz. channels are supported by the firmware. So 5GHz. is virtually interference free for me, and works well here.

I've had the R7000 for over 2 years now, and it is still working well, and easily takes care of my throughput and wireless needs with bandwidth to spare. Works well with tomato ARM, XVortex, and dd-wrt. I've had all of these on this R7000 for extended periods and all have been stable and provide great performance. I do like playing with new releases of firmware, so I tend to try them out (as you can tell from the variety of firmware that I've used). But I have no problem recommending the R7000. Lots of mature firmware choices, lots of bandwidth, and great wireless coverage for my house.

Also, I've pretty much abandoned 2.4GHz. There are about 20 visible neighboring wireless networks on 2.4GHz., it's not a good situation for media streaming. I've gone to 5GHz. almost completely, just a couple of throwback devices that don't support 5GHz. The R7000 is great for this, 5GHz. is fine throughout the house. There are a couple other 5GHz. wireless networks that I see...the only strong one is my next door neighbor, who has staked out channel 149. Which is not a problem for me, I usually use channel 157 or 161, depending on what 5GHz. channels are supported by the firmware. So 5GHz. is virtually interference free for me, and works well here.

Thanks! I actually gave it a go sometime last year but ended up returning it as for whatever reason on every NETGEAR device on stock firmware the upload QoS acts up randomly. But I plan to test Merlin again on it but last time traffic meter and upload QoS did not work correctly even though I love ASUS firmware but the things I need might still be broken, but as long as wireless on Tomato is stable I'll defiantly be using Tomato. I love my R6250 but Tomato and DD-WRT WiFi doesnt work correctly at all.

Is it still worth getting ?
all i can tell you is i have a r7000 here that i sometimes use as a AP , would i buy it over an asus rt-ac68u the answer would be no , the hardware may be close but the asus just beats it hands down and thats without 3rd party or forked fw like merlins

i did throw xwrt on the r7000 for a while but took it back to stock as its only being used as an AP anyway

mind you i have never liked the netgear genie firmware since the moment it was released

Is it still worth getting ? currently have an R6250. I think I can get one retail for around $130 brand new.

If you can get an R7000 for $130 (USD), that's a pretty good deal - recent firmware has been fairly stable, and the R7000 is the reference device for SNB's testing..

If you can get an R7000 for $130 (USD), that's a pretty good deal - recent firmware has been fairly stable, and the R7000 is the reference device for SNB's testing..

I think I can get it around that. So it would be better router wise excluding wireless than the R6250?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes R6250 - CPU1:Broadcom BCM4708A0(800 MHz, 2 cores)
R7000 - CPU1:Broadcom BCM4709A0(1 GHz, 2 cores)

+1 for the R7000, but only if you consider 3rd party FW. I know there are people that don't have issues with its stock FW, but personally I had a lot. So R7000 + Xvortex FW = a winning team :)

+1 for the R7000, but only if you consider 3rd party FW. I know there are people that don't have issues with its stock FW, but personally I had a lot. So R7000 + Xvortex FW = a winning team :)
I'd prob run tomato. I couldn't run Xvortex as QoS apparently doesn't work. But it'll be my first try though. If not tomato will be on it

Also not sure if I want to use shibby or the newer interface advance tomato. This will be something once I settle i don't want to have to mess with it for a long while

Last edited:
I'd prob run tomato. I couldn't run Xvortex as QoS apparently doesn't work. But it'll be my first try though. If not tomato will be on it

Also not sure if I want to use shibby or the newer interface advance tomato. This will be something once I settle i don't want to have to mess with it for a long while

if you want to use QoS, you want more processing power..

Yeah but I don't think that would make much difference on a 24/2 connection? Right?

No it won't. But the R7000 is going to blow away the 6250 when you add in additional stuff like QoS, storage, media streaming, etc.

Not to mention the fact that wireless range and performance on the R7000 is far better and the best of the AC1900 crop really.

R7000 only if non-stock is doable for you. AdvancedTomato for usability and stability. Kong DD-WRT for the most effective QoS scheme in most situations -- queue-based fq_codel.

Did Netgear ever fix the R6250's issues (they launched it with only one CPU core working, and only 128 out of the 256 MB available)?

If not, that's even more reasons to move to the R7000.

Did Netgear ever fix the R6250's issues (they launched it with only one CPU core working, and only 128 out of the 256 MB available)?

If not, that's even more reasons to move to the R7000.

It may have, but I think running custom firmwares unlocked it to work but not sure.

R7000 only if non-stock is doable for you. AdvancedTomato for usability and stability. Kong DD-WRT for the most effective QoS scheme in most situations -- queue-based fq_codel.

I have always been a DD-WRT user but to me it always seems like Tomato WiFi is more stable. On my R6250 well both Tomato and DD-WRT Wifi sucked. No matter what the setting. Even putting it on G Only would drop connections or random slow speeds so I use an AP for it and disabled WiFi. Stock firmware though WiFi was perfect. (Keep in mind there are NO other networks around me either :D)

No it won't. But the R7000 is going to blow away the 6250 when you add in additional stuff like QoS, storage, media streaming, etc.

Not to mention the fact that wireless range and performance on the R7000 is far better and the best of the AC1900 crop really.

I use a clunky power wasting computer build in my spare room for storage, backup, media, etc lol. If I had a bigger sized external HD I might make use of the extra features with the R7000.

Also by the way, Its hooked up now! Testing Stock firmware first, then will try out XVortex, then most likely to advanced tomato if XVortex doesnt work out for me.

in my opinion the r7000 is still worth it even though i dont have one. Its mainly because in stock firmware its wifi relies on software more and has successfully survived torture tests. If you still have one you can re-purpose it using 3rd party firmware and software. If you're in the market for a wifi router/AP and dont need the CPU or software doing all the work than there are a lot better wifi routers.

in my opinion the r7000 is still worth it even though i dont have one. Its mainly because in stock firmware its wifi relies on software more and has successfully survived torture tests. If you still have one you can re-purpose it using 3rd party firmware and software. If you're in the market for a wifi router/AP and dont need the CPU or software doing all the work than there are a lot better wifi routers.

Yeah I use it for the main upstairs wifi just a few devices and the main routing of the Internet. Then have a wndr3800 that's an access point for downstairs about 6 devices but nothing other than basic usage so upgrade for that is not needed.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online