What's new

Is there an AC router that does DHCP for guest account only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Locomotivebreath

New Around Here
Hello all, I'm a long time lurker. Currently running a RT-N66U with Merlin. I'm getting ready to make the move to AC, but I'm looking for a seemingly unique feature.

I'm in the arduous process of setting up an Amahi server. For a variety of reasons Amahi works best if it takes over the DHCP process from the router, which is just fine with me. Except... If you want to enable an isolated guest network, the Amahi server is unable to assign an address. You have to enable LAN access for it to even be seen. Of course.

So... is there an option out there to enable DHCP on the guest network only? Perhaps that isn't even possible?

Ultimately it probably isn't that big of a deal, it's not like I don't trust my friends that log on to the guest network. But I do have a few devices (Nest, WeMo, etc) the I prefer to have isolated from the LAN. I also prefer the shorter password for the guest network (thanks Nest & others for not supporting WPS!).

I'm relatively brand agnostic, although I have become fond of Asus. Familiarity and all that.

TIA,
Kevin

Just how much better does it work if you give it DHCP duties? Seems like a dubious call to make (certainly am not sold on Amahi after spending a few minutes on their site).

How are you making this work with the RT-N66U currently?

Any device, software or hardware like Amahi that wants to break your network (and hence it's security) is suspect to me.

I am sure you'll find suggestions on how to possibly achieve what you need, but they already seem like poor workarounds, imo.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!