What's new

Is there anyway to force AiMesh to use eth8 as backhaul?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kanuki

Occasional Visitor
Hi... guys..

I just managed to update my GT-BE98 firmware to GNUton's asuswrt-merlin 3006.102.1 Beta 1
and also updated my RT-AX88U to asuswrt-merlin 3004.388.8 Beta 1 as AiMesh node.

I managed to add Realtek 2.5Gbps USB dongle at eth8 and bridged it to br0.

but

it only has 2 options to choose either Wireless or 1Gbps WAN port as backhaul connection.

I couldn't find the way to force it to use my 2.5Gbps USB dongle as backhaul connection.

Is there anyway to force AiMesh to use my 2.5Gbps USB dongle at eth8 as backhaul?

Last edited:
Hi... guys..

I just managed to update my GT-BE98 firmware to GNUton's asuswrt-merlin 3006.102.1 Beta 1
and also updated my RT-AX88U to asuswrt-merlin 3004.388.8 Beta 1 as AiMesh node.

I managed to add Realtek 2.5Gbps USB dongle at eth8 and bridged it to br0.

but

it only has 2 options to choose either Wireless or 1Gbps WAN port as backhaul connection.

I couldn't find the way to force it to use my 2.5Gbps USB dongle as backhaul connection.

Is there anyway to force AiMesh to use my 2.5Gbps USB dongle at eth8 as backhaul?

I'll say no. And I'd beware any USB equipment running at high data rates generating EMI that can interfere with the 2.4 WLANs, particularly clients at distance like perimeter IoT clients. If full duplex Gigabit Ethernet is fast enough, why go there.

OE

Two routers running beta firmware and officially unsupported USB-to-Ethernet dongle sounds like great start.

I know. AiMesh functionality is ASUS closed source.
I'm just trying my luck. Maybe someone know something that I don't.

No and this dongle may never reach anything close to 2.5GbE Ethernet anyway. Remove it, use the WAN port.

According to Renjie's guide. Realtek RTL8156B can reach up to 2.3xGbps with some performance tuning.

I'm just trying my luck.

With home routers the simpler the setup the better. Your GT-BE98 is an early Wi-Fi 7 product with de-facto beta stock firmware, you slapped on top beta custom firmware, then beta custom firmware on your node with unsupported hardware attached to it - luck is what you need indeed. This is an experimental setup for own entertainment. Hopefully the rest of your network users are patient enough.