What's new

Is there something that I can use to do this with VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ComputerSteve

So today I woke up and my VPN devices had no internet and the vpn screen showed check configuration. I contacted them and they said they are doing maintenance on the server. I want to know is there a way to set it up where if the VPN goes down or has error connecting the VPN can switch to a different server or even a different server instance automatically ? Is that something that VPN monitor does? or this script ? https://github.com/MartineauUK/VPN-Failover

So today I woke up and my VPN devices had no internet and the vpn screen showed check configuration. I contacted them and they said they are doing maintenance on the server. I want to know is there a way to set it up where if the VPN goes down or has error connecting the VPN can switch to a different server or even a different server instance automatically ? Is that something that VPN monitor does? or this script ? https://github.com/MartineauUK/VPN-Failover
Yes, also check this thread:
VPNMON-R2 v2.24 -Sep 30, 2022- Monitor your VPN connection's Health (New: AMTM, supporting WeVPN/Nord/SurfShark/PerfectPrivacy) (#2) (snbforums.com)

All i'm looking for is something like this --- So lets say client instance 1 is down... then automatically it switches to client instance 2.. Lets say client instanstance 1&2 are down then automatically it switches to client 3 and vice versa. Is that was VPNmonitor does?

All i'm looking for is something like this --- So lets say client instance 1 is down... then automatically it switches to client instance 2.. Lets say client instanstance 1&2 are down then automatically it switches to client 3 and vice versa. Is that was VPNmonitor does?

VPNMON-R2 will randomly pick a client and attempt a connection. If it doesn't work out, it will just keep trying random client slots until a connection is made. It's beneficial to allocate all 5 VPN slots to VPNMON-R2. Which VPN provider do you use?

The one i'm currently using is iprovpn.
Yeah, so in your case, populate all 5 of your VPN slots with iprovpn servers, and VPNMON-R2 will do the rest to keep your connection going! :)

Does VPNMON-R2 work with x3mrouting. I seem to have a problem when I use the script & setup multiple VPN slots the routing stops working. Meaning VPN director stops routing if the client switches.

Does VPNMON-R2 work with x3mrouting. I seem to have a problem when I use the script & setup multiple VPN slots the routing stops working. Meaning VPN director stops routing if the client switches.
Not quite sure... When VPNMON-R2 goes through a reset, it does call a function to restart the VPN Director rules... so perhaps that would do the trick for you?

Not quite sure... When VPNMON-R2 goes through a reset, it does call a function to restart the VPN Director rules... so perhaps that would do the trick for you?
So I got VPNMON-R2 working with x3mrouting but i'm using the startup script. My question is how do I stop the script temporarily so I can edit the clients. Meaning the script keeps stopping and starting the VPN clients. Is there a command I can use to just temporarily stop it then reboot. What I keep doing is removing (sleep 30 && /jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh -screen) & then rebooting, then editing, then adding the code back.

So I got VPNMON-R2 working with x3mrouting but i'm using the startup script. My question is how do I stop the script temporarily so I can edit the clients. Meaning the script keeps stopping and starting the VPN clients. Is there a command I can use to just temporarily stop it then reboot. What I keep doing is removing (sleep 30 && /jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh -screen) & then rebooting, then editing, then adding the code back.
Is there any portion here that can be automated a bit more? When you say you're "editing" after a reboot... is this manual? If not, can you insert a statement after this script to add the "(sleep 30...etc" back in?

Also... not sure how much time you would need after a reboot + edit, to get the script back up and running... but you could change the "Sleep 30" value to like "Sleep 300" if you wanted to? That would give you 5 minutes?

I guess I'm not really understanding the process you're going thru here... ;)

Is there any portion here that can be automated a bit more? When you say you're "editing" after a reboot... is this manual? If not, can you insert a statement after this script to add the "(sleep 30...etc" back in?

Also... not sure how much time you would need after a reboot + edit, to get the script back up and running... but you could change the "Sleep 30" value to like "Sleep 300" if you wanted to? That would give you 5 minutes?

I guess I'm not really understanding the process you're going thru here... ;)
So I'm trying to test the servers of the clients that the script isn't picking but the script keeps changing the server. I just want to disable the script so I can change the server then re-enable it.

So I'm trying to test the servers of the clients that the script isn't picking but the script keeps changing the server. I just want to disable the script so I can change the server then re-enable it.
Is there something I could add to VPNMON-R2 that would make your life easier from this aspect? I built some compatibility into it to handle YazFi updates once a new VPN tunnel is established. Perhaps I could do something similar for this?

Is there something I could add to VPNMON-R2 that would make your life easier from this aspect? I built some compatibility into it to handle YazFi updates once a new VPN tunnel is established. Perhaps I could do something similar for this?
I think a way to startup the script without adding it to post-mount? in the way other scripts have a web interface and you can start and stop them or even have an option to start and stop them in AMTM.. Or if it is auto starting a way to pause the script so you can edit your vpn clients / start and stop other vpn clients / then restart the script. Also another good thing would be how are VPN Slots chosen add something like cycle in cascade style like from 1 to then 2 then to 3 to 4 to 5 instead of just random. I do appreciate the ping one !

I think a way to startup the script without adding it to post-mount? in the way other scripts have a web interface and you can start and stop them or even have an option to start and stop them in AMTM.. Or if it is auto starting a way to pause the script so you can edit your vpn clients / start and stop other vpn clients / then restart the script. Also another good thing would be how are VPN Slots chosen add something like cycle in cascade style like from 1 to then 2 then to 3 to 4 to 5 instead of just random. I do appreciate the ping one !
How about this... I could add another command, like "vpnmon-r2 -pause", that makes the script sit back and wait until you either resume it with a keypress, or perhaps with another command, like "vpnmon-r2 -resume"? Would that work?

Also, I can certainly build in a normal cycle for VPN slot selection, like 1, then 2, then 3... round robin style. I can definitely make that happen!

How about this... I could add another command, like "vpnmon-r2 -pause", that makes the script sit back and wait until you either resume it with a keypress, or perhaps with another command, like "vpnmon-r2 -resume"? Would that work?

Also, I can certainly build in a normal cycle for VPN slot selection, like 1, then 2, then 3... round robin style. I can definitely make that happen!
I mean that would be great ! I just hope you can make the command vpnmonr2 -pause / resume work with the auto start thing at boot. Maybe also a status thing of what is happening inside the amtm script screen. Meaning so you can see if the script is active or disabled running / not running.

I mean that would be great ! I just hope you can make the command vpnmonr2 -pause / resume work with the auto start thing at boot. Maybe also a status thing of what is happening inside the amtm script screen. Meaning so you can see if the script is active or disabled running / not running.
Moving this discussion to the appropriate thread... ;)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!