What's new

is this a problem with R7000 or ASUS AC66R?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

viper133

New Around Here
I tried asking this question over at the Netgear forums but they need mod's approval.

I have a R7000 set as the main router and the ASUS AC66R set as a wifi bridge. (both are on latest firmwares) On the first day, the router assigned the AC66R an ip of 192.168.1.5 but then 4 days later, the ip got changed to the same ip as the router (192.168.1.1). now i cant even access the setup page of the wifi bridge. I tried resetting the router but the problem comes back every few days.

This problem is causing my 5 ghz devices to not connect to the router after they've been shutdown and trying reconnect. Sometimes it will connect but takes a long time (as much as 30 mins). When it reconnects, it locks on until you shutdown and turn it on again.
Edit: this is strange, i can reconnect to the device if i use another working device and access the Netgear setting page. i reproduced it each time. if i dont go to the setting page i can wait all day it seems.

I will try to change the settings of the wifi bridge with a reserved ip but shouldnt the R7000 be smart enough to do that on its own? I thought a wifi bridge only acts as a big wifi adapter?

Thanks in advance.
if the two routers are not compatible i will be returning the R7000 and getting a standalone wireless adapter.

Last edited:
Make sure your bridge has a static IP outside of the DHCP range, and you should be good to go...

I have two AC68 routers, and one of them is set up as Media Bridge with no issues.

Change LAN IP on R7000 to something like; 192.168.10.1 instead of using default 192.168.1.1.

just an update.
its been working well for 9 days and then the media bridge's ip got changed back to the same ip as the router so i got the same problems

for the ip reservation, i did it under Advanced--> Setup--> Lan Setup
added the device through mac address and entered a unique ip address.

also the box
"Use router as DHCP Server" is checked.

what did i do wrong?

just an update.
its been working well for 9 days and then the media bridge's ip got changed back to the same ip as the router so i got the same problems

for the ip reservation, i did it under Advanced--> Setup--> Lan Setup
added the device through mac address and entered a unique ip address.

also the box
"Use router as DHCP Server" is checked.

what did i do wrong?

If you didn't change anything that caused the loss of the IP address reservation, I'd report this one to Netgear support. You can create an issue using my.netgear.com, and follow the "Ask a Question (open online case)" path.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!