What's new

ISP provides 1000/1000. What router should i get.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eikido

Occasional Visitor
I just got a new line at home which will provide upto 1000/1000 mbit.
What would you guys recommend?

Where i live, the TP-Link Archer C3200 is quiet nicely priced at about $150.
I could pay a bit more for a neat router :)

I would like to have a VPN server (OpenVPN preferebly) but that is not a requirement as i could set it up on my Raspberry pi.

There are 2-3 threads of the same topic that have been busy the past month or two with lots of conversation and info.

Your absolutely right, i'm reading the forum slowly and i can see a few threads a head discussing this.

10Gbe - probably above the tilera...

HW - maybe Xeon's, most likely dedicated silicon with a Xeon or similar on the control plane...
not really, i managed to push 80Gb/s internally on the CCR1036 using a packet generator. So it was generating 80Gb/s worth of packets and dropping it internally trying to max out the internal mesh architecture. It was using around 80% CPU at that point.

besides we've already established that each CCR core is capable of 1Gb/s NAT + PPPOE and 500Mb/s if you include QoS and other configs.

erm - no... tilera is a nice platform, but no...

seriously - I've looked at that platform - it was a nice bet that went wrong with how usage and code developed..

erm - no... tilera is a nice platform, but no...

seriously - I've looked at that platform - it was a nice bet that went wrong with how usage and code developed..
facebook would tell you otherwise. They have 100 core variants in PCIe cards performing firewall + running webserver. Their versions run a different linux than mikrotik does and mikrotik uses the network optimised CPU variant. The main problem mikrotik has is that their tunnelling isnt multi threaded for a single tunnel so that limits their tunneling performance for a single tunnel otherwise in routing to a single point they can put multiple cores onto the same interface and i got that result when i messed with the packet generator.

PPPOE is a bit different from PPTP and other forms of VPN as it operates on layer 2, it does use CPU but PPPOE is not a tunnelling protocol.

acebook would tell you otherwise. They have 100 core variants in PCIe cards performing firewall + running webserver.

Tilera had their time back in '11 - that was a while back... and FB and the rest of the internet has passed it by...

I think improvements in both ARM and x86 since 2011 have eclipsed whatever Tilera was trying to do back in the day...

I just got a new line at home which will provide upto 1000/1000 mbit.
What would you guys recommend?

Where i live, the TP-Link Archer C3200 is quiet nicely priced at about $150.
I could pay a bit more for a neat router :)

I would like to have a VPN server (OpenVPN preferebly) but that is not a requirement as i could set it up on my Raspberry pi.

I have 1000/1000 mbit FTTH. My ASUS RT-AC68U (with the 1 Ghz cpu) will go 940/940 at 100% cpu usage with CTF (NAT acceleration) enabled. Without NAT acceleration it does 380/440. I owned a RT-AC3100 (1.4 Ghz) for a few months and it will go 940/940 at 97% cpu usage with CTF enabled and 520/610 without CTF.

Using the OpenVPN client on the 68U got 44/58 and 3100 got 74/84. AES-128-CBC / SHA1 / RSA-2048 with PIA VPN.

The somewhat new ASUS RT-1900P from Best Buy is a newer version of the 68U with a 1.4 Ghz cpu and would be the 1900 class router that I would choose if purchasing today. The 3100 is a good router but in my testing only offered minimal increases in wifi performance and range over the 68U.

how much can you push the budget.

Go for wave 2 standard. Even if you dont have any client now to take advantage. It was designed from the ground to implement full AC specification. Wave 3 is no where in near future.

I would suggest
x4s
x8
x10

from Netgear

If you are leaning towards Asus then fine.

As per this SNB the best LAN to WAN throughput when compared to current gen triband the x4s works 94% efficiency

Ie 941/941 down and up.

Hope you get the right router. In real world its really hard even for 10 devices to consume 1gbps at the same time. Even a 4k streaming hardly need 30-50Mbps for smooth streaming. 10+ even streams it would be 300-450Mbps max. And its very ideal requirement as its most bandwidth hogging application. Ofcourse using steam can consume the 1gbps easily as it is cloud connected.

Yes, way too many threads already on this topic.

Today's routers and most likely those of the near future, rely on Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) to achieve Gigabit wire-speed. As has been pointed out, if you enable certain features, usually some form of automatic QoS, CTF is disabled and throughput drops by about half.

Realize this is a niche problem. Manufacturers aren't really incentivised to fix this, especially if it is going to cost real money. Even in areas where "Gigabit" service is offered, people opt for less expensive, lower throughput plans.

And as ulaganath points out, most people would have a hell of a time consuming 1G of bandwidth.

If router manufacturers thought wired throughput would sell more routers, you can be sure they'd slap a big number on the front of the box.