What's new

Issues in the media room

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

veer

New Around Here
Hello all, this is my first post here and I apologise if this is posted under the wrong section. I am hoping to get some combined knowledge that the members of this forum share regarding my current issue.

I have a three level home running approximately 15 devices at any given moment. These devices range from a few iphones a couple android devices, iPads, Apple TVs, Smart TVs and Macbooks. My router is placed on the ground floor towards the front of the house and most devices are used either in the back of the house or the basement. Unfortunately due to the limited # of usable coaxial points I am limited in the placement of my router. I have recently purchased the Archer C7 for it's performance to price ratio.

My issue is that I have a media room in the basement which is soundproofed therefore has thicker walls that the rest of the house I am fairly happy with the wifi in the rest of the house except for this room, what is the best solution to get decent coverage here? I have tried the following:

I started with multiple older generation Apple Airport Extremes using them in bridge mode and realized the coverage wasn't best and the lack of dual band and AC made my network outdated, my next purchase was the ASUS AC66U and ASUS RPN53, although the coverage was decent and connections strong I was having issue seeing the devices connected via the RPN53 making it impossible to stream to those devices (the purpose of wifi in media room). I figured it was the extender so I replaced it with the Amped REC15A this solved all issues pertaining the media room however with extended use I realized the main network from the AC66U wasn't performing well anymore, so (regrettably) I decided to replace the AC66U with the Amped RTA15 (I assumed the router would be as good as the extender). Now because of the poor performing RTA15 my entire network was suffering. So after discovering this website and doing my research I ended with the Archer C7 V2 (price was a big deciding factor after having shelled a decent amount for the RTA15). I already have noticed a performance increase in my network however I have discovered that my entire network suffers when the REC15A is connected to the network, also explaining why I had issued with the AC66U.

What options would you guys recommend, without breaking the bank. Thank you.

Did you keep the rt-ac66u? It isn't clear to me. If so you can put dd-wrt on it, follow the instructions for client bridged http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged to extend your network. You can bridge the 5ghz radios and then use the 2.4ghz as an ap without loosing any bandwidth.
Or bridge the 2.4ghz and broadcast the 5ghz.
Hopefully I didn't misunderstand what you were asking.

Getting the network into an out of the way place is always a problem. In your case, you need to get it into a basement going through normal construction and insulated walls. Here are some low cost ideas. None are guaranteed to work. Just think about them and decide for yourself.

5GHz has a poor range and doesn't go through walls well. Thus the experimentation..

1) Amazon has refurb Netgear AC1450 routers in stock for about $70 (at last view). They can be converted to R6300V2 routers easily via a firmware flash. The R6300V2 is an AC1750 router. Instructions can be found on the internet. The R6300V2 has a dedicated bridge mode for AC; best used if attached to another R6300V2. It might break through the walls.

2) Buy one AC1450, convert it to a R6300V2 and flash a Kong DD-WRT file. 24345M OLDD is said to be the most stable version at this time for that router. Read all instructions on the proper way to flash DD-WRT first, including about init files. Configure as a client bridge, either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Instructions are on the internet. Put it in media room. It might work. (Convert first to R6300V2 since AC1450 is said to be unstable and you may want to later turn it back into a R6300V2 from DD-WRT.)

Other routers can work, this is just the cheapest high quality alternative available at this time.

3) Try a powerline configuration. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work well. Save the receipts in case you're in the latter group and want to return it.

4) Drill a hole and run some Cat 6. In the basement, configure a wireless access point / switch and use it for basement connections.

Thank you guys

Thanks for the amazing response guys, it is much appreciated. Sorry for not being clear but currently I have the Archer C7, RTA15 and the REC15, I returned or exchanged the other equipment including the ASUS.

I might look into the powerline suggestions, however there is a good chance the basement is on a different circuit than the main room. Will start studying up on how to conduct the flash etc on the other equipment should all else fail.

Thank you all once again, feel free to offer more suggestions if you have any.

Powerline adapters

Could someone please recommend a good dual band wifi powerline? I would be happy with N as all my devices only use N however I would like to have dual band or 5 ghz if I only have one option. Thanks.

Could someone please recommend a good dual band wifi powerline? I would be happy with N as all my devices only use N however I would like to have dual band or 5 ghz if I only have one option. Thanks.
There are no dual-band powerline APs yet. Use a pair of powerline adapters and a separate AP or router converted to AP.

Powerline will work across different branch circuits (different circuit breakers).
Won't work across different metered circuits.

There are no dual-band powerline APs yet. Use a pair of powerline adapters and a separate AP or router converted to AP.

Powerline will work across different branch circuits (different circuit breakers).
Won't work across different metered circuits.

Mmmm, it might on your last. Just have to be on the same transformer and physically close enough to still pickup the signal. In a townhouse/condo situation, you probably could get it to work across residences (albeit probably very slowly due to attenuation and noise and probably only nearest neighbor and only if you are both physically close to the transformer*), in single family home situations the distance would likely be too great to get any kind of a connection.

*For instance, nearest neighbor in my old neighborhood, a couple of the town homes were within 50ft of the transformer, and likely didn't have more than 150ft total run from their main breaker panels, to the transformer bus bar and then to the other house's breaker panel. Its all going to be using the same phases and there'd be no issues about transformer decoupling of the signal as it would be behind it. It should be well within the attenuation specs of powerline.

Solved ... Thanks

I was visiting a friend of mine and mentioned my situation and the solutions suggested by the great folks of this forum, just my lucky he happened to have TP-LINK PA2010KIT, so I tried setting it up and it worked like a charm. This morning I ended up upgrading to the TP-LINK PA6010KIT and using my old Airport Extreme as an access point to get WiFi specifically for the media room, running on 5Ghz N mode and everything works like a charm.

On a side note I am also getting a decent signal from the Archer C7's 2.4Ghz stream, however it isn't good enough to stream HD Audio/Video, but the powerline solution is amazing thus far. This has brought up another question for which I shall create another post.

Thanks to everyone who posted.