What's new

Issues with ASUS RT-AC86U when bridged to Hitron CODA-4582

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gibbss

New Around Here
I recently switched from Start.ca to Rogers for my ISP. I had a TP-Link TC-7610 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem paired with my Asus 86U when I was with Start.ca, this modem worked perfectly fine with the Asus. Rogers gave me the Hitron CGN3, then I switched to the Hitron CODA-4582 to troubleshoot some things.

The issue:
Rogers gave me the Hitron CGN3. Put it into bridge mode and connected the Asus router. Getting download speeds higher than advertised and everything seemed fine. However, when using instagram on my iPhone, videos barely load. Constant buffering issues, photos not loading even scrubbing through youtube is a challenge. Its media that seems to experience this issue. Internet browsing on the computer seems totally fine.

Troubleshooting:
1) Tested the same Asus Router on a family members Technicolor modem and there were no issues at all on either platform even when they have slower 25mbps speeds.
2) I asked Rogers for their gigabit modem, the Hitron CODA-4582 and the same problems persist. I don't experience this issues whatsoever when I am on any other wifi at a friends or at work.
3) Turned off bridge mode, and use the built in wifi on the Hitron, the problem no longer persists. Only with the Asus router.
4) Updated to the latest firmware on the Asus router. Even tried out Merlin and nothing helped.
5) Tried a couple things from here.

TL;DR: crazy buffering issues on instagram and youtube with this modem and router pairing.

I recently switched from Start.ca to Rogers for my ISP. I had a TP-Link TC-7610 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem paired with my Asus 86U when I was with Start.ca, this modem worked perfectly fine with the Asus. Rogers gave me the Hitron CGN3, then I switched to the Hitron CODA-4582 to troubleshoot some things.

The issue:
Rogers gave me the Hitron CGN3. Put it into bridge mode and connected the Asus router. Getting download speeds higher than advertised and everything seemed fine. However, when using instagram on my iPhone, videos barely load. Constant buffering issues, photos not loading even scrubbing through youtube is a challenge. Its media that seems to experience this issue. Internet browsing on the computer seems totally fine.

Troubleshooting:
1) Tested the same Asus Router on a family members Technicolor modem and there were no issues at all on either platform even when they have slower 25mbps speeds.
2) I asked Rogers for their gigabit modem, the Hitron CODA-4582 and the same problems persist. I don't experience this issues whatsoever when I am on any other wifi at a friends or at work.
3) Turned off bridge mode, and use the built in wifi on the Hitron, the problem no longer persists. Only with the Asus router.
4) Updated to the latest firmware on the Asus router. Even tried out Merlin and nothing helped.
5) Tried a couple things from here.

TL;DR: crazy buffering issues on instagram and youtube with this modem and router pairing.

You've done a lot of excess troubleshooting and Im stumped on why? It seems that you've said that everything is fine while using the computer that is connected to the Asus. It's the phone that has a problem. Is that correct. Is the computer connected by wifi too or ethernet? Tell us about the computer setup and the router setup on wifi; one ssid or two, channels selected or auto, etc. If your pc is connected wifi and is working fine, sounds like the issue is the phone.

You've done a lot of excess troubleshooting and Im stumped on why? It seems that you've said that everything is fine while using the computer that is connected to the Asus. It's the phone that has a problem. Is that correct. Is the computer connected by wifi too or ethernet? Tell us about the computer setup and the router setup on wifi; one ssid or two, channels selected or auto, etc. If your pc is connected wifi and is working fine, sounds like the issue is the phone.

I'm not convinced it's the phone. As I mentioned in step number 1, I used the router at my parents with a Technicolor modem and the same phone and no issues there. The problem has persisted with two Hitron modems now. Even in step 3, the phone works fine.

The PC is connected via ethernet. One thing I have not tried is having a friend use their phone on my wifi and seeing if they get the issues. I'll give that a shot.

Two SSID I'm assuming? One for 2.4 and 5g. Channels selected, not auto.

Look at my signature. I have 4 x iPhones + 1 x iPad connected to the router. No issues whatsoever.